Cuisine Lite- Creamy Turkey Enchiladas
  Re: (...)
Another Cuisine Lite winner!

I have to mention, though, that when I saw that one serving was two tortillas, I knew that DH would not be happy. So what I did was to slightly increase the ingredients and made three enchiladas per serving (actually, he had 3-1/2, I had 2-1/2. That’s the give-and-take of a happy marriage!) haha But the changes added only about 70 more calories per serving and the servings were more substantial.

I was surprised at how much DH liked these. For me they were good, but I think that I’ve made better. He raved. On and on. Like I never fed him before.

Those who have this publication, look at the bottom right photo on page 39. The directions were to heat ½ cup of salsa, soften the tortillas on the warm sauce, the pour the remaining salsa on top of the rolled enchiladas. In the photo, it looks like way more salsa than a half cup is being poured over the tortillas. I ended up doubling the amount, but that really isn’t a problem since salsa is relatively light in calories and fat.

A couple of minor changes to the recipe were that:
I used lowfat cheddar instead of lowfat feta cheese
I heated the enchiladas in a microwave instead of using a broiler.
I added cilantro as a garnish because I just cannot think of an enchilada without it!

With the enchiladas I served my newest favorite “find” from Trader Joe's and that is Soycutash. A very good medley of shelled edamame, corn, and red bell pepper that went perfectly with the enchiladas and, as we all know, extra vegetables never hurt.

The recipe with my changes:

[Image: 4408029618_50e48d080c_m.jpg]

* Exported from MasterCook *

Creamy Turkey Enchiladas

Servings:2

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 teaspoons olive oil
3/4 cup diced red bell pepper
1/3 cup diced onion
2 teaspoons minced garlic
4 ounces spinach -- chopped; can sub frozen, thawed, squeezed, chopped spinach
5 ounces cooked turkey breast -- chopped; can also sub chicken
1/4 cup frozen corn kernels -- thawed
1 tablespoon flour
2/3 cup skim milk
1 tablespoon Neufchatel cheese
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup salsa
6 whole corn tortillas
1 ounce lowfat cheddar cheese -- shredded
2 tablespoons sliced scallions
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

Spray a 9"x13" baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.

Sauté bell pepper in oil over medium high heat for a minute, then add the onion and garlic and continue to sauté for 2 more minutes, or until vegetables are softened. Add spinach, turkey, and corn and cook until the spinach wilts, about 2 minutes.

While the spinach cooks, pour milk into a measuring cup then stir in the flour, a teaspoon at a time, until the mixture is smooth. Add milk mixture to the spinach and stir constantly until thickened. Add the Neufchatel cheese and stir until the cheese melts. Stir in the salt and black pepper and remove from heat.

Heat salsa in a small skillet (which is slightly larger than the diameter of the tortillas). Place a tortilla on top of the salsa and press in a little, then after about 20 seconds remove the tortilla and place in the baking dish with the sauced side up. Spoon 1/6 of the filling into the center of the tortilla. Roll tortilla over the filling and position it seam-side down in the dish. Repeat with the other 5 tortillas. You may want to fill and roll the last one or two tortillas on a cutting board if there is not enough space available room in the baking dish. In that case, transfer the tortilla(s) carefully to the baking dish.

Spoon remaining salsa down the length of each enchilada. Sprinkle cheese on top. Cover with waxed paper and microwave until heated through.

Divide between plates and garnish with scallions and cilantro.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 459 Calories (kcal); 9g Total Fat (2g Saturated); (16% calories from fat); 44g Protein; 63g Carbohydrate; 54mg Cholesterol; 1036mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 12 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : Adapted from "Cuisine Lite".

Now, if anyone wants, I can type up the original recipe. Just ask. I will be away for a few days; we are heading to my parents' for the weekend in order to attend a funeral on Saturday but I can do this when we return.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Cuisine Lite- Creamy Turkey Enchiladas by foodfiend (Another [i]Cuisine L...)
Sounds great! My mom used to make some creamy and cheesy chicken enchiladas that were really good, so I can already imagine how good these are.

Also, you're right: How can you have an enchilada without cilantro?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cuisine Lite- Creamy Turkey Enchiladas by labradors (Sounds great! My mo...)
Thanks for this review Vicci! I like to make the chicken enchiladas from one of the weeknight menu books, so it will be nice to try this version. I agree about the cilantro. That MUST have just been an oversight.

On the way home after dropping my daughter off in Wilmington, I passed a Trader Joes. I so wanted to stop, but it was getting late and there was snow predicted in the mountains, so I drove on by. Waaaaahhhhh.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Cuisine Lite- Creamy Turkey Enchiladas by chef_Tab (Thanks for this revi...)
I just blew past this recipe when I was choosing recipes to try. Going to give it another look.
  Re: Re: Cuisine Lite- Creamy Turkey Enchiladas by chef_Tab (Thanks for this revi...)
subbed cheddar for feta? - now, I'm really anxious to try these, but with the feta! sounds great.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cuisine Lite- Creamy Turkey Enchiladas by cjs (subbed cheddar for f...)
Wow, doesn't this sound yummy! And I have all the ingredients except the salsa. This is going on the menu. Thanks Vicci!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cuisine Lite- Creamy Turkey Enchiladas by Gourmet_Mom (Wow, doesn't this so...)
Thank you again, Vicci! I had a lot of chicken left from our last night's roasted chicken so I subbed that for turkey. As I mentioned in the "what's for dinner" thread, I made a few other changes as well, but this came out fantastic. I added a bit of tobasco to the filling, and will add a bit more next time, or possibly some hot peppers. I also made mine more like a lasagna. We love it! I served a black bean salad on the side.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Cuisine Lite- Creamy Turkey Enchiladas by chef_Tab (Thank you again, Vic...)
I made this tonight for dinner. I still haven't found the book, so I used Vicci's recipe as a guide. I should have taken a picture, it was that pretty, but I was VERY hungry and it was getting late.

CHANGES: I used ground turkey instead of cooked turkey/chicken pieces. I browned it before adding the red pepper. After the peppers got fragrant, I added the onion and garlic. I followed Vicci's instructions from that point on until it got to the microwave part. I'm sure that this summer, I will be grateful for the microwave for this, but tonight, I topped with some white cheddar and stuck it in a 350 degree oven until the cheese was melted and filling was heated through, 10-15 minutes. I topped with coarsely chopped green onions and cilantro. I just had to do it...I also added a "little" more white cheddar on top. Very pretty and very tasty. I can't wait to try it with FRESH salsa...I used store bought mild...HOT next time!

Did anybody notice....I used the cilantro garnish and would not have it without! Even William loved it...CILANTRO CONVERTS!

I'll do this again. It was a quick and easy meal!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cuisine Lite- Creamy Turkey Enchiladas by Gourmet_Mom (I made this tonight ...)
I have this recipe on the schedule for this week. I was planning to cook up some chicken breasts and shred them for the meat.
  Re: Re: Cuisine Lite- Creamy Turkey Enchiladas by HomeCulinarian (I have this recipe o...)
got to do this one also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com