shrimp and grits
  Re: (...)
hi everyone

here we are in orlando - going to penscola for a few days

but wantede to check in and tell you about the beautiful wedding of our

niece we were in St Augustine what a great place even took a ghost tour

and had so much fun seeing and meeting all the inlaws and outlaws !!!!!

They were married in an old gardens - and the best part of the meal

was the Shrimp and Grits- and all the appys

I had never had this southern dish before but will have it again I really liked it - it was served in a stem glass - yum yum

we had cupcakes for the wedding cake - so very glad we came - weather was
a little cool here but today its great.

marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: shrimp and grits by mjkcooking (hi everyone [br][br]...)
Oh my gosh that sounds so good! And pretty! I went on a hunt for a recipe (and photo) and found one. I will share with others if they are so inclined to try this. I am!

Did yours look anything like this Marye? Sounds like a beautiful wedding.

[Image: shrimp_grits_wood.jpg]

Favorite Charleston Restaurant Charleston Golf Courses
Charleston Shrimp and Grits
June 28th, 2008 ·

Get the complete recipe for Charleston Shrimp and Grits. This is the traditional Charleston Shrimp and Grits recipe, and why would we have it any other way? If you are visiting and have never tried this dish, please do so! I know you will fall in love with this tasty Charleston treat! If you are a resident of the area, I am sure you have heard of alternative ways but I am just going to post the original Charleston Shrimp and Grits recipe

.Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hours, 00 minutes

Ingredients:

· 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled, halved lengthwise, and deveined if you wish

· Juice of 1 lemon

· Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce

· 1 1/2 teaspoons salt or more to taste

· 1 1/2 cups stone-ground grits, not instant or quick-cooking

· 6 thick slices bacon, chopped

· 1 small onion, finely chopped

· 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper

· 1 garlic clove, minced

· 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions

· 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour

· 1 cup chicken stock

· 1 to 2 tablespoons unsalted butter

· 1 cup (about 1/4 pound) grated medium to sharp Cheddar cheese

· Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce

· Preparation

· Combine the shrimp with the lemon juice and a couple of generous splashes of hot pepper sauce. Let sit while you begin the grits and gravy.

· Make the grits in a large heavy saucepan, first bringing 6 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of the salt to a boil. Whisk in the grits a few handfuls at a time. (They will bubble up initially.) When you have added all the grits, reduce the heat to a very low simmer and cook over low heat for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally at first and more frequently toward the end.

· While the grits simmer, get the gravy under way. Fry the bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat until brown but still limp. Stir in the onion, green pepper, and garlic and continue cooking until the onion and pepper are limp, about 5 minutes. Add the scallions, sprinkle the flour over the mixture, and continue sautéing for 5 minutes longer. Stir in the stock and remaining salt and cook for 5 minutes longer. Remove from the heat while you finish the grits.

· When the grits are thick and creamy, stir in as much of the butter as you wish, followed by the cheese. Add a splash of hot pepper sauce and additional salt if you like. Cover the grits while you finish the gravy.

· Return the gravy to medium heat and stir in the shrimp. Cook until the shrimp are opaque throughout, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately, mounding the grits in large shallow bowls or on plates and covering them with shrimp and gravy.

· Serves: 4 (Unless you are really hungry!).
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: shrimp and grits by luvnit (Oh my gosh that soun...)
What a great way to present the shrimp and grits!! Sounds like you're havin' a great time, Marye!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: shrimp and grits by cjs (What a great way to ...)
The trip sounds great! I have family in Pensicola and have been several times, but not since I was a child.

As for the Shrimp and Grits dish, I have seen it done that way...very nice. But I like mine in a heaping pile on a plate with plenty of it...LOL! The best by far I have ever made or eaten is the Paula Deen recipe. That has been one of our SPECIAL meals for several years now. We LOVE IT!!!!!! What with all the cream and butter in the thing, we don't make it as often as we'd like, but I HIGHLY recommend it.

If you are still interested when you get home, I'll be glad to post it for you. Just be sure to pick up grits before you leave the South. You could use polenta, but then it wouldn't be such a Southern thing! Also, you may want to look for Tasso. It would be with the cured meats. I substitute salt cured ham...which you may want to get if you don't have that in WA. I have always wanted to try it with Tasso, though.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: shrimp and grits by Gourmet_Mom (The trip sounds grea...)
laura thank you for the recipe

we did fine a recipe also at this web site - Inn Cuisine.com

but yours looks wonderful

Daphine - what brand grits do you recommend?

we ate tonight at a great Restaurant - called Fusion 52

they serve health food - no more than 475calories per entree
we had tenderloin with polenta and spinach and sissy had rainbow trout
baby roasted potatoes, carrots, aspargus
and a nice white wine
dessert were severed in shot glasses - I had red velvet cake
terry had key line pie. sissy had a chocolate thing and dennis a cheesecake

would recommend this restaurant if you come here.

the menu changes every week hince the 52 they had fish poultry, beef
salads appys and wonderful desserts

m.
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: shrimp and grits by mjkcooking (laura thank you for...)
Marye, I use Quaker Quick Grits. I know, I know....no self respecting Southerner would ever use quick grits, but it's what I grew up on. Also, I have never seen the original. Mine come in a bag, but here's a picture of the label.

[Image: 03000004170m.jpg]

Just in case I forget... here's the Paula Deen recipe. It looks long, but most of it is notes about Tasso and my notes about substitutions, etc.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Shrimp and Grits

Recipe By :Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
Serving Size : 4
Categories : Seafood

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup cured ham
3/8 cup leeks -- diced
3/8 cup onion -- diced
3/8 cup green pepper -- diced
1 pound shrimp -- shelled and deveined
1 1/2 tablespoons wine, white
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 Green onion tops -- chopped
Creamy Grits (Recipe Follows)

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tasso and saute until crisp. Add diced vegetables and saute until onions are translucent. Add shrimp and saute for 30 to 45 seconds, or until pink. Remove from the pan and set aside.

Deglaze the pan with a little white wine. Slowly add the cream and let reduce until thickened. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Serve shrimp and vegetables over grits and pour sauce over all. Garnish with green onion tops.

Serving Ideas : For a great wedding idea, use martini glasses to serve shrimp and grits, with the grits on the bottom and shrimp and sauce on top.

NOTES : Cook's Note: Tasso is a Cajun ham and is often hard to find outside of Louisiana, but you can find it at some specialty gourmet shops or by mail order. If not, you can substitute salt pork, pancetta, or prosciutto, but you will have to beef up your seasonings, as tasso is very flavorful.

My Notes: I used country ham bits and was satisfied with the results. It may have been a little richer and saltier with the country ham (salt cured), but I have not tried it with Tasso, so I don't know. I have also used regular (salt cured) country ham slices. Just be sure to rinse your ham before dicing or cut WAY back on salt in the recipe.

I substituted Half and Half for the cream since heavy cream is not always readily available here. I have not tried it with cream and suspect it may produce a richer, larger portion of sauce in a shorter period of time, but I was happy with the results with half and half. Just be sure to add the dairy a small amount at the time or it will take FOREVER to thicken.

Now that I can get cream all the time, I have tried everything from 2% milk, half and half, and cream mixed with either….all work great. All combinations have worked well.

Creamy Grits

Recipe By :Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
Serving Size : 6
Categories : Sides and Sauces

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
5 1/4 cups milk, 1% lowfat -- plus a little more if they get too thick
1 1/2 pinches salt
1 1/2 pinches white pepper
1 7/8 cups grits

In a saucepan, over medium heat, add the milk and butter. Season with salt and pepper. Bring the liquid to a boil. Whisk in the grits. Stir constantly for 6 minutes or until tender. Grits get thicker as they sit, so more liquid may need to be added. I did not add any, but I did put them in a heated water bath (set covered pot in a skillet with water over low heat). Do not begin the grits until you start the sauce for the shrimp.

NOTES : I used cream and fat free half and half. I also used black pepper at the end in addition to the white pepper.

I also used a two to one ratio dairy to grits. I used Quaker Quick Grits...we don't have local coarse ground here, but am anxious to try. I find 6 minutes is way too long. Quick grits cook fast...watch them and don't stop stirring. Be careful, they will bubble and pop out. I don't like mine too thick and may eat them cooked less than most. Just have extra liquid...even water...handy to keep them from sticking. To be honest, I had never had grits cooked with anything but water before using this recipe, so if you want to cut back on calories...that would work also. Seafood, corn or chicken stock would be another option.
Daphne
  Re: Re: shrimp and grits by Gourmet_Mom (Marye, I use Quaker ...)
I love shrimp and grits. The creamy shrimp and grits with procuitto on epicurious is pretty good. I'll have to try Paula Deens. I am so craving this now!
~Heidi, SAHM, self-taught chef and born foodie
my blog - http://thelifeofadoctorswife.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: shrimp and grits by Vanquisher (I love shrimp and gr...)
Recently I had heard that Bob's Red Mill makes a grits. I thought I would try that.

[Image: 20090214_corngrits_3428.jpg]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: shrimp and grits by luvnit (Recently I had heard...)
We are lucky enough to be able to get great tasso out here - I remember I used to order it from New Orleans (in the 90s), so I'm thrilled we can get it here now.

Just looked at the recipe Billy, Tracie & I just loved for Shrimp & Grits and was surprised it's different from yours, Daphne - it's a Paula Deen recipe also. huh.

SHRIMP AND GRITS
A Paula Deen recipe - serves 8 as an appetizer or 4 as a main course.

1 cup stone-ground grits
Salt and pepper
¼ cup (1/2 stick) butter
2, cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined, left whole if small and roughly chopped if medium or large
6 slices bacon, chopped into tiny pieces
4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 cup thinly sliced green onions, white and green parts
1 large clove garlic, minced

l. In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add the grits and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well with a whisk. Reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting and cook the grits until all the water is absorbed, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and cheese. Keep covered until ready to serve.

2. Rinse the shrimp and pat dry. Fry the bacon in a large skillet until browned and crisp, then , drain on a paper towel. Add the shrimp to the bacon grease in the skillet and saute over medium heat just until they turn pink, about 3 minutes. Do not overcook! Immediately add the lemon juice, parsley, green onions, and garlic. Remove the skillet from the heat.

3. Pour the grits into a serving bowl. Pour the shrimp mixture over the grits. Garnish with the bacon bits.

4. If you are serving this as an appetizer, spoon ¼ cup grits onto a bread or salad plate. Top with ¼ cup of the shrimp mixture. Garnish with a sprinkling of crisp bacon bits and serve immediately.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm still working on the bag of grits 'half-baked' sent me years ago.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: shrimp and grits by cjs (We are lucky enough ...)
Laura, that's the polenta we use, but it is a little different from our grits....ours are white and not quite as "corny" tasting" But that would work.
Daphne