Easter Lamb Cake
  Re: (...)
I recently inherited a cast iron lamb cake mold. The mold has two parts. However, I do not have any recipes. Traditionally, a pound cake is baked in the mold and then a butter cream frosting is used along with coconut to make the cake look like a lamb. Raisins or jelly beans are used for the face I remember having this as a child at Easter.

I hope some one on the forum has a recipe that they would share. I am uneasy about just doing a Google. Thanks.
  Re: Easter Lamb Cake by momjanous (I recently inherited...)
Welcome to the forum!

... and here I was wondering, "Why would you bake lamb into a cake? Shepherd's Pie, perhaps, but a cake?"
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Easter Lamb Cake by labradors (Welcome to the forum...)
Oh man, my daughter just turned 50 years old!! and I remember making one of these cakes for her when she was one or two....sure as heck with my memory, I can't remember what kind of cake I used. But, as poor as I was, I'm thinking it was just a regular cake batter.

Good luck!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Easter Lamb Cake by labradors (Welcome to the forum...)
Quote:

Welcome to the forum!

... and here I was wondering, "Why would you bake lamb into a cake? Shepherd's Pie, perhaps, but a cake?"

Or, Little David's Pie (remember, he tended the sheep before slaying the giant). I think he took some of his pie to his brothers, who were doing battle with the Philadelphians. They ran a Giant in unexpectedly (they play together in this league) and Little David just happened to bring his slingshot--really worked out well for his family.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Easter Lamb Cake by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
You two are really helping Sue with her problem!!!! (go find your rooms)

Just ignore them, Sue!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Easter Lamb Cake by cjs (Oh man, my daughter ...)
Hmm, the pound cake recipe needs to be firm enough to hold its shape but not dry.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/colum...wht-column,0,3417278.column

The cakes were sold at many bakeries throughout the Chicago area and still are sold.
  Re: Re: Easter Lamb Cake by momjanous (Hmm, the pound cake ...)
hi

I have a cast iron mold that i have had for years

I love it. I always season up the mold everytime i use it.

by using lard/shortening and baking in the oven

for the cake I use the Dromdary Brand Pound cake mix and oil and flour the
cake pans - I fill the one side(the lamb nose down) and lay the top on it and place on a cookie '
sheet. Bake according to package When it is done I place a wet towel on
the top of the hot mold - when cool i take off the top and use a knife
around the edge to loosen.

hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Easter Lamb Cake by mjkcooking (hi[br][br]I have a c...)
Finally, someone who knows what she's talking about...
www.achefsjourney.com