Panko
  Re: (...)
I'm learning to adapt to not having some things here - or for them to be so bloody expensive you just shake your head.

Sadly panko is one of those things. I kept thinking there had to be a way, and there IS!

All you need is a good quality white bread (is that an oxymoron???? ) and the fine shredding blade on your food processor. Run the bread through the shredding blade, dump it out on a cookie sheet and dry in the oven.

My first batch I followed the directions and dried it in a warm oven - but they browned (still good, but not traditional). The texture is perfect and all it costs is the loaf of bread, buns, rolls, or whatever white bread you have on hand.

I'm a happy happy camper
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Panko by Harborwitch (I'm learning to adap...)
Good for you! I can't believe you can't get panko there for a decent price. That sucks. It's so much easier to use the stuff in the bag or box. I don't know if you have a World Market anywhere near you, but I have seen it there for a decent price. Pepperidge Farm now makes it. I bet you could order it. Hmmmm. Anyway, I am glad to here you found a good substitution.
~Heidi, SAHM, self-taught chef and born foodie
my blog - http://thelifeofadoctorswife.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Panko by Vanquisher (Good for you! I can...)
Sharon do you bread that is in a full loaf or are you putting slices into your food processor?
  Re: Re: Panko by DFen911 (Sharon do you bread ...)
Discovery!!!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Panko by luvnit (Discovery!!!...)
Sharon, I've got the same question as Denise. I'd love to find a cheaper alternative.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Panko by DFen911 (Sharon do you bread ...)
I had a big loaf of "Italian" bread and some hoagie buns. I just trimmed of the crusts and cut chunks that would fit in the feed tube. The crusts I dried out and made regular bread crumbs.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Panko by Harborwitch (I had a big loaf of ...)
good pioneering thinking, Sharon.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Panko by cjs (good pioneering thin...)
Thanks, Sharon. I can't wait to try this.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Panko by Harborwitch (I'm learning to adap...)
This is what I have been doing. I go to the Asian Import section of my grocery store. It's actually right next the actual Asian section. But this stuff is more authentic and imported from wherever. I get a huge bag of panko for about $2. I get twice as much! I buy my soy sauce there too. A HUGE bottle for about $1.39. Sesame oil too. Really good deals there. Oh and huge bags of toasted sesame seeds - very cheap.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Panko by luvnit (This is what I have ...)
"I get a huge bag of panko for about $2." - me too.

and a container of Wasabi powder that will probably last my lifetime!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com