Butchering a cow
  Re: (...)
Hi all.

I have a friend over in Eastern Washington that has some property and they decided to raise some beef this year. We bought a cow and it will be butchered in May - I specifically told her I never wanted to see pictures of the cows or name it! I do better with my beef coming in plastic . But it will be nice having home grown meat!

Anyway - my question. I can dictate the cuts I want. Or how much of something. Any thoughts from anyone with experience or web sites that might help with this? I am not big on organ meat - so will probably let someone else take that. Lots that goes into it that I never even thought of. Organs, bones, hide...Uff.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Butchering a cow by esgunn (Hi all. [br][br]I h...)
Sorry, I can't help, but that sure sounds great to be getting home grown beef. Sure hope you have a gigantic freezer.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Did you buy a whole side or the whole cow? Either way you're in for a lot of beef

You should be able to specify what cuts you want if they are anything but the standard. You also pay the butcher to cut the primary cuts down for you (into steaks, roasts etc.)

You'll get, from 1 side, about 10 round steaks, 9 sirlion steaks, 12 t-bone steaks, 12 sirloin tips, 12 ribeye steaks, 5 -7 bone roasts, 2 good size chuck roasts, 3 shoulder roasts, a full rack of ribs, 1 brisket, 15 pounds of hamburger and a slew of soup bones. Get your bones to make stock
I hope it was a calf. A cow raised in a pasture will be a little tough. If it is a calf (350-450lbs) ask for the tenderloin, sirloin steaks, rump roasts, chuck roasts, cut the round into cutlets and tenderize, some brisket, flank, skirt, hindleg shank, any mixed fat and beef, ground, (20-80%), marrow bones, and soup bones --in that order. It's best if it ate corn the last 4 months. Never ask its name!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Butchering a cow by DFen911 (Did you buy a whole ...)
Sounds like Denise has a really good grasp on things. I will just add this. Because this has been our experience through friends. I asked her, "How much filet mignon did you get?" Or tenderloin. She got none. She bought a side of beef and got none of it. I am sure many butchers 'skim' meat off of cows. But I would sure be disappointed if they stole the best parts right out from under me!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Butchering a cow by luvnit (Sounds like Denise h...)
Erin, you should be able to tell the butcher EXACTLY what you want, the size of the roasts and the how you want things packaged. I have decided over the years that rounds steaks are large, I would end up getting three meals off from one steak. I also decided that I prefer mine swissed - I can use it for stir fry if I want, or chicken fried steak or swiss steak, or what we call lady fingers, cut into strips, breaded and fried. But they cut and package what would have been one steak in half for me.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't one of the steak cuts (I can never remember which) actually contain the tenderloin. So if you get that cut (porterhouse, maybe??) you won't get the tenderloin. I don't get the loin, but I do get sirloin tips packaged.

Also, I have my steaks packaged individually, you may want two or three packaged together. I have some of my hamburger packed in one pound packs, some in pound and a half. And you can dictate the fat ratio you want for the ground beef.

The cost to process is based on hanging weight. After the animal is killed and gutted, and the head removed, the rest is "hanging weight." Typically my butcher charges around $.25. When we sell a cow, our sale price is also based on that hanging weight.

I agree with Bill, our cows are in the pasture, but every animal needs grain supplement the diet and finish properly. But around here a 350-450 calf would be classified as a feeder calf just coming off mom ready to turn out to the pasture. We don't usually butcher until aroud 850 pounds. Typically that is around the size the 4-H'ers will buy to finish for the fall fairs.
  Re: Re: Butchering a cow by iBcookin (Erin, you should be ...)
Forgot to ask - do you know what kind of cow they are raising? I would never have believed it, but there is a big difference in meat from one breed to another.
  Re: Re: Butchering a cow by iBcookin (Forgot to ask - do y...)
Hope you have a humongous freezer to put all that meat in!
  Re: Re: Butchering a cow by HomeCulinarian (Hope you have a humo...)
This will be great for your family, Erin - everyone's advice is spot on. We used to raise ours when the kids were young and I found the cuts and number of pcs. per pkg. changed almost every year as the kids got older and started leaving the nest.

Do you share steaks? Or do you cook enough for leftovers? Also, you might want to think again about not getting the cuts you're not familiar with or think you want (like offal), you may have a lot of fun playing with these - I sure did.

Have fun!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Butchering a cow by cjs (This will be great f...)
I am trying to picture the faces of those little ones when she tries to convince them that kidneys are a delicacy and yummy! Mine would have run out of the room gagging, LOL!

Even I don't keep that stuff, Jean!! I'm just not that brave or adventurous.

And you are so right, my packaging changes every time I butcher.