OMG - What have I done??
  Re: (...)
- - - I bought a golf course???!!!

I think I need my head examined! But two weeks ago an opportunity presented itself that was just too good to walk away from. I have never golfed in my life, but have always entertained the idea of owning a restaurant at some point in my life. Well, here I go.

In less than two weeks, I have convinced my bank to mortgage my farm and my partner's, and make up the balance against the course and contents. It is really a no brainer since these people are walking away from it. I will be overseeing 18 holes, a lounge/restaurant seating for 125 and banquet facilities for 225. Good thing I have a chef up my sleeve, so to speak!

So things have been nuts, there are no operating records, so I am winging this venture. But based on tee sheets and confirmed tournaments/banquets, I think I can make a go of this. I bullied the bank into loaning me the money based on the value of the property, buildings, contents and equipment.

So, initially I am going to focus on getting those golfers to stay and eat after they come off the course, so I want to do really great sandwiches, soups and munchies, and follow up with a nicer dinner menu. The kitchen is really the worst part of the place. But Patty and I are hoping to secure women-owned funding at a later date and the kitchen will be the first priority. It can produce a menu, but I am going to have to be selective about what I offer.

I am up to my eyeballs in cash flow projections, Liquor Control Board applications, incorporation processes, oh, and we should be opening in 3 weeks. Yikes!

Check it out at riversidegolfclub.com

I'm open for ideas. . . and where better could I go to get ideas that all of you guys? Productive ideas, please, I have had more than my share of confirmations that I have lost my marbles, LOL!
  Re: OMG - What have I done?? by iBcookin (- - - I bought a gol...)
Congratulations! I am so excited for you. I think the whole liquor license would be my biggest fear in this state. If the golf course itself needs a new superintendent, I can ask my brother for recommendations. He is the best in the business. He won't move himself, but he has a lot of contacts. I guess you will be rather busy for a while.....to say the least. Does this mean a certain daughter may find her way home to help??
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: OMG - What have I done?? by chef_Tab (Congratulations! I a...)
Wow, what an adventure!!! Good luck and keep us posted from time to time!
Did you buy the whole course or just the restraunt?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: OMG - What have I done?? by Old Bay (Did you buy the whol...)
Sounds like you are in for a good time!! All the best to you both in this new adventure!!!
  Re: Re: OMG - What have I done?? by (Sounds like you are ...)
Wonderful! How exciting! Best of luck with your new venture.
Take pics when you get a chance and keep us posted.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
WOW! You have rendered me speechless! Good luck m'dear - you are really going to have a job on your hands. But I know you can do it.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Wow! It sounds like a very exciting endeavor! Man, you are brave. But a golf course sounds like fun!

I will send all my best wishes your way!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: OMG - What have I done?? by luvnit (Wow! It sounds like ...)
Yeah, you did it, Linda!!! congratulations!

You're right on with the lunch crowd after golfing - the room was always packed when I worked that area in country clubs. Weekend brunches were always well recieved, especially the waffle and omelet stations.

A sanwich special a week was fun to come up with and looked forward to by the crowd. One that I remember most asking us to repeat often was the BLT using basil leaves in place of lettuce. There were a couple other favorites also.....will try to remember.

All kinds of goodl luck, Linda!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OMG - What have I done?? by cjs (Yeah, you did it, Li...)
You go girl!!!!
Cis
Empress for Life