Canned Mackeral
  Re: (...)
I noticed today at the store while I was purchasing canned salmon that they also had canned Mackeral on the shelf. And quite cheap! I have never heard of anyone using it, but they must. Does anyone here use it? and for what?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Canned Mackeral by luvnit (I noticed today at t...)
Quote:

Does anyone here use it? and for what?

Paperweight?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Canned Mackeral by luvnit (I noticed today at t...)
I've had it a couple times over the years.

You can cube it up, skewer it up and grill it with your favorite fish marinade/baste. I've not had canned, but here's a recipe I sure would try with some canned - will definitely look for it around here -

Turnip, Potato, and Smoked Mackerel Gratin

Editor's note: This recipe is adapted from chef Paul Flynn of The Tannery in Dungarvan, Ireland.

The French regard rutabaga as animal feed, but the Irish know better and use it in numerous beloved dishes. In this recipe, the root vegetable's sweet starchiness is the perfect foil for smoked mackerel, another ingredient for which the Irish have great respect.

Yield: Makes 4 servings

2 cups heavy cream
2/3 cups whole milk
1 garlic clove, crushed and peeled
1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
1 pound rutabaga, peeled and sliced into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 freshly grated nutmeg
4 smoked mackerel fillets, broken into pieces

Arrange oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 9-inch-diameter pie plate.

In small heavy saucepan, combine cream, milk, and garlic. Bring to boil over moderately high heat, then remove from heat and set aside.

Layer 1/4 of potatoes in baking dish in concentric circles, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, then pour 1/2 cup cream mixture over. Repeat process using rutabaga instead of potatoes to make second layer.

Scatter mackerel pieces over root vegetables and top with 1/2 cup cream mixture. Make another layer of rutabaga, then final layer of potatoes, topping final layer with remaining 2/3 cup cream mixture.

Bake until potatoes are tender when pierced with knife and top is golden, about 45 to 55 minutes. Let gratin stand 5 minutes before serving.

---
found another recipe for using it smoked - now you have me on a mission, Laura.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com