Honey-Bronzed Brisket
  Re: (...)
Oh boy, is this a winner - I mentioned it in the St. Patrick's thread, but it will probably get lost there. I bought a brisket to corn for the 17th and cut ~2 lb. hunk off the small end to make this dish.

It is so good - I stuck the pkgs. in the freezer, 'cause I'm ahead of myself with cooking food right now. But, can't make up my mind how I want to use it. Over rice, yes, sandwiches, yes, with garlic mashed potatoes....

* Exported from MasterCook *

Honey-Bronzed Brisket*****

4 lbs. center-cut beef brisket -- trimmed
Salt and pepper -- to taste
4 medium onions -- thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic -- thinly sliced
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves -- crushed

Sprinkle both sides of brisket with salt and pepper. Heat large Dutch oven or covered pan on stove top. Add brisket and brown on all sides. Remove to platter.

Add onions and garlic to pan; cook until golden and slightly softened, about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, in small bowl, whisk together honey, mustard, wine and thyme. return brisket to pan, placing on top of onions.

Pour juices from brisket platter and about 3/4 of honey-wine mixture over brisket. Add 1 cup of water to pan. Bring to a boil.

Cover and transfer to oven; bake at 350°F for 2-1/2 hours, basting with pan juices every 20 to 30 minutes. Uncover and pour remaining honey-wine mixture over brisket. (Onion mixture will be a dark bronze color at this point.)

Bake uncovered for another 20 minutes. Remove brisket to platter, cover and let sit about 15 minutes. Remove fat from pan juices and season with salt and pepper.

To serve, slice brisket across grain. Serve with onions and drizzle with pan juices.

Makes 8 servings
Description:
"from Nat'l Honey Board"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I just used the 2# chunk, but I used the rest of the ingredients for 4# - glad I did, the sauce is just great. Watch the last 20 minutes, it could burn easily or too thick.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Honey-Bronzed Brisket by cjs (Oh boy, is this a wi...)
Could this possibly work for a pork roast. I bought a big tenderloin one on sale and cut it into 3 servings for 2 people. I wondered if I could cook it like this, but maybe it would need less time, cuz I think pork roast would be more tender right?
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Honey-Bronzed Brisket by farnfam (Could this possibly ...)
I would think less time, but I don't see why it wouldn't work - it's just a great flavor. Could you butterfly it so you have a flatter piece of meat to lay on and absorb the onions and the sauce?

Maybe cook the entire thing uncovered, so it would caramelize nicely.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Honey-Bronzed Brisket by cjs (I would think less t...)
This sounds great Jean. I saw brisket at Sam's the other day and almost bought it. Now I wish I had. I'll be picking them up next time...that's for sure.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.