Matzo
  Re: (...)
Okay, strictly speaking, this would NOT be Kosher for Passover, but I'm just a curious goy with an interest in this.

Now that we've covered homemade panko, do any of you have any tested recipes for HOMEMADE matzo so I can make Matzo Ball Soup (and do you have a tested recipe for the soup, as well)?

A simple Google search does return some useful results, such as THIS or THIS, and Epicurious has four recipes for the soup, but I'd rather try something that someone I know has already made, if possible.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Matzo by labradors (Okay, strictly speak...)
From "Modern Jewish Cooking" by Bonnie Rae London

I've had this cookbook for a reeeeaaaaaallllllyyyyyy long time, and this is a fabulous recipe. Sorry I can't help with the matzoh though.

2 Tbs melted chicken fat or butter.
2 eggs
1/2 c. matzo meal
1 tsp. salt
2 TBS soup stock or water
1 tsp chopped parsley

In a mixing bowl mix fat and eggs together. Add the matzoh meal and salt and mix until combined, then add liquid and parsley. Cover the bowl and chill for 30 minutes, or until the mixture is easy to handle.

Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Meanwhile wet your hands and form the matzoh mixture into 8 small balls. Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the balls to the water. Cover and cook 30 to 40 minutes. Transfer the matzoh balls to hot chicken soup to serve.

I used to make a really rich chicken soup for the matzoh balls. Traditionally the soup is clear, maybe some very tiny bits of carrot and parsley - this soup is about the matzoh balls and the broth.

I wish I knew how to make the matzoh - I think I can get this readily here - but maybe I I should check it out just in case.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Matzo by Harborwitch (From "Modern Jewish ...)
Thanks, Sharon! Saving this to use once I get or decide upon a recipe for the matzo, itself.

For your own search, if you can't find the matzo meal, but can find the actual crackers, you can just crush the crackers to make the meal.
  Re: Re: Matzo by labradors (Thanks, Sharon! Sav...)
I've done that a lot. Of course if I have a box on onion matzoh hanging out I just might scarf the whole box with a jar of the little gefilte fish and a whole mess of horseradish. Yum.

VICTORY! I found it - now to get the gefitle fish and horseradish - I may be in heaven.

Egg 'n' Onion Matzohs

2 C. whole wheat flour
3/4 T. salt
1/3 C. butter or margarine
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 1/2 T. onion powder
1/2 C. milk or cold water

Add onion to the milk or water to soak while you are working the flour and butter.

Cut butter into flour and salt until like meal. Combine rest of ingredients and add to flour mixture. Stir until mixtures forms a ball (if dough is too sticky add a little more flour but avoid overworking to keep crackers tender)

Divide dough into thirds. Roll out on well-floured surface, adding more flour as needed to keep dough from sticking to rolling pin or surface. Roll until thin, about 1/16" to 1/32"

Cut into desired shapes and place on greased cookie sheet.
Prick with fork.

Bake in preheated 450 oven about 5 min. or so, depending on thinness, just until crackers begin turning light golden brown.

Okay I found this on the internet - the ingredients were all in caps - so I'm not real sure if the T. is teaspoon or tablespoons - teaspoon seems more likely to me, but???????/
  Re: Re: Matzo by Harborwitch (I've done that a lot...)
Interesting. So that's NOT a recipe you've tested, then? Could you post the link to where you found it? Maybe I can find some other clues that would help with the teaspoons/tablespoons.
  Re: Re: Matzo by labradors (Interesting. So tha...)
matzoh recipes

Greedy me! I saw the first page and that was all I saw! Went back - there are 16 pages, I'm printing them now. WOW! A treasure trove.

There's also a recipe for Charosets - This stuff is magical.

2 cups walnuts
3 large apples
4 Tbs sweet red wine (or to taste)
4 Tbs honey (or to taste)
1/2 tsp. ginger
4 tsp. cinnamon

In a food processor - with metal blade process walnuts until they are finely ground. Place in a mixing bowl.

Peel the apples, cut into quarters, and remove cores. Place apple pieces in container and process until finely chopped. Add to ground nuts along with remaining ingredients. Combine well and taste to correct seasonings.

That makes about 20 2 TBS servings so unless there's a crowd I'd cut this in half - but it is soooooo good.

I had the pleasure one year to cook the Passover dinner for a doctor I used to work for. His father and kids came out from New Jersey. It was great fun, especially learning the meaning of each part of the meal. Very meaningful!.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Matzo by Harborwitch ( [url=http://beyond-...)
Thanks! Great information!

A full Seder is very interesting and meaningful, as you said. A friend of mine, in Florida, was Jewish, but became a Christian, and he would host a Seder in which he would not only explain the Jewish significance of each part, but also the additional meanings they had to Christians.
  Re: Re: Matzo by labradors (Thanks! Great infor...)
Wow, Rob, I bet that was interesting.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Matzo by Gourmet_Mom (Wow, Rob, I bet that...)
I am in FL for a month, so I can't help with any recipes. My first husband is Jewish and I was lucky enough to be in the same congregation as Bonnie London for a while, and enjoy her wonderful meals. I always have matzo meal which I combine with Cuban crackers when I do any breading for Cuban dishes. I have put matzo's in the blender to make my own meal as well. I used to love Matzo Brei. I agree that Haroseth is wonderful. I found this recipe SPICE-RUBBED CORNISH HENS WITH HAROSETH STUFFING AND SHERRY JUS that I am planning to try though I've never made Cornish hens. Here's a link to a matzo recipe that you might want to try. The only ingredients should be flour and water.
  Re: Re: Matzo by Cubangirl (I am in FL for a mon...)
¡Gracias, Cubana!