Dinner Tonight - 3/16/2010
  Re: (...)
Finally having the salmon cakes modified by Vicci with the citrus sour cream mashed potatoes.

What are you all having?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Dinner Tonight - 3/16/2010 by luvnit (Finally having the s...)
I'm trying the Garlic Chicken Alfredo from the new issue. YUM! There's peas in the dish, but I'll set out the salad mix and vinaigrette, too. Again, I'm wanting some bread with this, but don't need it. The urge is strong to make some up this weekend...that's for sure!

BTW, the freezing in foil worked so well last time, I'm thinking of making two batches this go round. Does anybody know if it works equally as well for half a loaf? Cut it in half after cooling or make smaller loaves?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Dinner Tonight - 3/16/2010 by Gourmet_Mom (I'm trying the Garli...)
Daphe I made that dish and meant to review it, but never got around to it. It was WONDERFUL! The whole family loved it and I am so glad I made a double batch! Definitely a keeper.
Laura
  Re: Re: Dinner Tonight - 3/16/2010 by luvnit (Daphe I made that di...)
I sure am glad I have the ingredients to double it. It just so happened I set out the pack of two chicken breasts instead of the one...so I have to double it. Good to know it's a good one. I'm planning on using Gruyere and Parm for my cheeses....can't wait!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Dinner Tonight - 3/16/2010 by luvnit (Daphe I made that di...)
Okay we are done with Vicci's rendition of the salmon cakes and citrus mashed potatoes.

First I will say that both my husband and I loved the citrus mashed. I even added some orange zest to it. They were wonderful. I can see these with pork roast or other baked fishes. Really good. Will do these again.

Okay the salmon cakes. Try as I might I just cannot get over the 'spine bones' in the canned salmon. Sorry, but they just gross me out. That aside, the flavor of the overall recipe was great. I do like the orange and chipotle with the salmon. They also had a pretty good texture but I would also try this same technique with crab cakes. I think that would be really awesome too.
Laura
  Re: Re: Dinner Tonight - 3/16/2010 by luvnit (Okay we are done wit...)
My mother always left the bones in the canned salmon - gag . I always take the skin and the bones out - just not my cup '0' tea with them in there. She always said it was extra calcium - yeah, and bugs are extra protein.

We were going to have mussels (from the newest Food & Wine) with fennel and pernod. Crusty bread was needed, all the bread in 2 stores in Bismarck was soft squishy stuff. I'm not sure what we're having now.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Dinner Tonight - 3/16/2010 by Harborwitch (My mother always lef...)
Quote:

She always said it was extra calcium - yeah, and bugs are extra protein.

ROTFL!!! Sharon, you crack me up!
Laura
  Re: Re: Dinner Tonight - 3/16/2010 by luvnit (Okay we are done wit...)
We are making pizza in our new brick toaster oven. Using Jeans sourdough pizza dough (from her new, best selling cookbook)!!!! Will let you know what we end up doing, and how it comes out!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Dinner Tonight - 3/16/2010 by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Okay, I haven't had canned salmon since I was a kid, but the visual I'm getting here, I may never have it again.

On another note, the Garlic Chicken Alfredo was VERY good. I used Gruyere and Parm for the cheese and subbed half and half for the cream. It was perfectly cheesey and thickened beautifully with the half and half. (We won't discuss the amount of butter here.) I'm glad I doubled it...William had two servings, so with 4(or 5) servings used tonight, I needed the extra for lunch tomorrow. That leaves enough for a side serving for tomorrow night's dinner: the Pizza Wraps from the latest issue of Cuisine for Two tomorrow night. Looking forward to it.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Dinner Tonight - 3/16/2010 by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, I haven't had ...)
We had the Fizzy Chicken from #63. I'm really glad this recipe was discussed recently. I'd overlooked it, and it was really tasty! I served it with a Parmesan and black pepper rice pilaf and green beans. Yummy!