St. Paddy's Day - What's for Dinner???
  Re: (...)
I LOVE THIS DAY!!!! We're having -

Whiskey-Glazed Corned Beef (it's been corning for 5 days)
Bubble & Squeak
Sauerkraut (just cause Roy loves it so)
Irish Soda Bread with Irish Whiskey Butter

Yum, I can hardly wait! Oh, and a good Irish beer

What are you all up to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: St. Paddy's Day - What's for Dinner??? by cjs ( [i]I LOVE THIS DAY!...)
I am making "Kells Shepherd's Pie". It is a recipe from an Irish Pub in Portland and includes Guiness and cabernet wine so it sounds great. I have the Guiness for drinking in the refridgerator. I will also make Irish Soda bread. Jean, do you mind sharing the Irish whiskey butter recipe? And tell me what bubble and squeak is!

And I am in shock.....Hubby did not wear a kilt to work!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: St. Paddy's Day - What's for Dinner??? by chef_Tab (I am making "Kells S...)
Quote:

And I am in shock.....Hubby did not wear a kilt to work!

Can't he get arrested for that?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: St. Paddy's Day - What's for Dinner??? by chef_Tab (I am making "Kells S...)
bubble & squeak is a combination of mashed potatoes and cabbage (a little bacon, onion thrown in) - we love it.

Irish Whiskey Butter - for St. Patrick's Day

1 tbsp sugar
9 tbsp butter -- softened
3 tbsp whiskey

Heat the whiskey and sugar in a pan until hot then stir in the butter until melted and fully combined. Allow to cool.

Note: when I made this, I allowed the whiskey and sugar to cool then kneaded it into the softened butter. Re shaped by rolling in wax paper and chilling. (I made this day before yesterday and stuck my finger in it - boy, is it tasty. I can't wait to have it slathered on soda bread. )

"Hubby did not wear a kilt to work!" - oh, oh, what a hoot that must be when he does.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: St. Paddy's Day - What's for Dinner??? by cjs (bubble & squeak is a...)
He would wear one every day if he didn't think it would affect his career negatively. He usually wears one on casual Fridays, St Patrick's Day, Robert Burns Day, Tartan Day, and so on. He always wears it when we "volunteer" at the Winery. It is certainly a "chick magnet". We have met some really neat people because of the "power of the kilt" as he calls it.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: St. Paddy's Day - What's for Dinner??? by chef_Tab (He would wear one ev...)
Happy StPaddy's Day all! James doesn't like corned beef so we're having kielbasa and cabbage and taters....and beer, yum. I usually fry the cabbage but I'd love to hear some new ideas
Just found this one on foodgawker, man, I think this is gonna rock!
http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/0...lemon.html
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: St. Paddy's Day - What's for Dinner??? by cjs (bubble & squeak is a...)
Have to try the Irish butter. I have a little surgery scheduled for this afternoon, so I just threw a couple of corned beefs in one crockpot, and turnips, potatoes and carrots in another. Cabbage later. Hopefully I'll be able to throw together some Irish soda bread when I return, although pre-op drugs are already affecting me, so who knows!

If need be, I'll pull it all together tomorrow. Just was hoping to get it all done and delivered today.

It's nice of my doc to give me pre-op drugs, isn't it?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: St. Paddy's Day - What's for Dinner??? by pjcooks (Have to try the Iris...)
PJ - good luck today.

Well, I am not sure what we are having. But, I made my St. Paddy's day dinner yesterday. Steve left this morning for a 15 day trip. It is my favorite and I make it every year. Probably should adventure out and try others, but why mess with a tradition. I put two corned beef briskets and two beers in the crock pot yesterday. The kids didn't like the glaze I put on so I served theirs straight with baked potatoes after we got home from gym. Very easy dinner and they loved it.

For us I made marmalade glazed corned beef. I think I got this recipe from the Silver Palet book. And roasted brussel sprouts. It was delicious.

I think I saw a recipe for a casserole that uses corned beef, so that may be what is for dinner.

Happy St. Patricks Day to everyone.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: St. Paddy's Day - What's for Dinner??? by pjcooks (Have to try the Iris...)
"It's nice of my doc to give me pre-op drugs, isn't it?" - you bet it is - flyin' high early, eh?

Cis, that lemon cabbage sounds wonderful!! duly copied.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: St. Paddy's Day - What's for Dinner??? by cjs ("It's nice of my doc...)
Erin, if the kids like reuben sandwiches, save some of the corned beef for "Reuben Pizza" - it's in the book.
www.achefsjourney.com