St. Patrick's Dinner Reviews - 2010
  Re: (...)
What a fun delicious dinner!! I could have eaten a whole loaf of the soda bread with the Whiskey Butter!!!!

We started the night out right -
[Image: StPattysDay1.jpg]

And ended up pigging out, that's for sure!
[Image: StPattysDay.jpg]

Interesting how the 'pink salt' reaction didn't make it all lthe way through the brisket, but it was wonderful, flavorwise. I'll do this again.

Bubble & Squeak (always so good)
Sweet & Sour Cabbage (Issue #62) - kept nibbling on this one - Yum.
Whiskey Glazed Corned Beef - (Issue #62) really tasty!!

And Cis mentioned in another thread that the cabbage with lemon is really good too - anxious to make it!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: St. Patrick's Dinner Reviews - 2010 by cjs (What a fun delicious...)
We also had the Whiskey Glazed Corned Beef with Sweet & Sour Cabbage. I love both of those recipes. This year, I tried using my slow cooker for the corned beef, and I will say that I probably won't do that again. I definitely prefer the flavor and texture of the beef when it's done on the stove, but it is certainly possible that my inexperience with the slow cooker contribute to the textural problems. The glaze, as always, was perfect, as was the cabbage. I served it with Garlic Mashed Potatoes. This is my favorite St. Paddy's Day dinner!
  Re: Re: St. Patrick's Dinner Reviews by karyn (We also had the Whis...)
We did the whiskey glazed corned beef - OMG - why haven't I made this before. The glaze was so wonderful

I didn't have cabbage - but tossed some brussels sprouts and pearl onions in some butter, stone ground dijon, balsamic vinegar, and maple syrup. Perfect.

We did the mashed potatoes and parsnips. My, oh my, I could eat those every night.

All in all this was a great dinner.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: St. Patrick's Dinner Reviews by Harborwitch (We did the whiskey g...)
He cooked the briskets overnight in a slow oven in beer, stock and spices. The nest day he strained off the juice, defatted it, and cooked the cabbage in it. It was delicious.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: St. Patrick's Dinner Reviews by Lorraine (He cooked the briske...)
I was searching for the recipe for whiskey butter and found I didn't make Attie's corned beef last year, I made C@H!!! And, it was good.
----------
post from last year -
Interesting how the 'pink salt' reaction didn't make it all lthe way through the brisket, but it was wonderful, flavorwise. I'll do this again.

Bubble & Squeak (always so good)
Sweet & Sour Cabbage (Issue #62) - kept nibbling on this one - Yum.
Whiskey Glazed Corned Beef - (Issue #62) really tasty!!

And Cis mentioned in another thread that the cabbage with lemon is really good too - anxious to make it!
---------

But, where's the recipe for my whiskey butter????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: St. Patrick's Dinner Reviews by cjs (I was searching for ...)
I'm going to do Attie's in May, but for St. Paddys day I keep it very traditional. Brined corned beef, steamed cabbage, and butter potatoes and lots of mustard.

I was not thrilled with beef, I think next year I buy a big ol brisket and brine my own so I can make sure it has that flavor punch.
  Re: Re: St. Patrick's Dinner Reviews by DFen911 (I'm going to do Atti...)
We did a simple pork chop and cabbage sauteed in fat back--with water to drink!!! (I'm having a scotch & water for a nitecap!!). All delicious!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: St. Patrick's Dinner Reviews by Old Bay (We did a simple pork...)
Bill, I bet you guys are ready to get back to simple food! You guys have just come back from a MAJOR foodie week...LOL! But it was fun, though, wasn't it? I'd love to hear your overall feelings about your trip. What did you think of Charleston? And would you go back?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: St. Patrick's Dinner Reviews by Gourmet_Mom (Bill, I bet you guys...)
Quote:

Bill, I bet you guys are ready to get back to simple food! You guys have just come back from a MAJOR foodie week...LOL! But it was fun, though, wasn't it? I'd love to hear your overall feelings about your trip. What did you think of Charleston? And would you go back?

OMG--what fun!!!-Snapper, Capers Blade oysters, grouper, flounder,, mussels, panninis, shrimp, shrimp & grits, beef tenderloin, sauvignon blanc, pinot noir, merlot, martinis, scotch, fish & chips, aioli, boulabaise, --miles of walking, tricycle cabs, Ft. Sumter, harbor cruise, Yorktown, the Battery, what more can I say, except --Bill & Daphne--alligator, fried green tomatoes, duck, PORK CHOP, tenderloin--mini Cooper--great city--we will be back!! And we will see you again!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: St. Patrick's Dinner Reviews by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
It's a great city with lots to offer! I'm so glad you took a week to visit. You had the BEST tour guide possible!

I look forward to our next visit! Give Jane my best!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.