Oh how I hate not have my s#it together!
  Re: (...)
From the newest Food & Wine"

Piquillo Rouille

1/4 c plus 2 TBS fish stock
Large pinch of saffron
1 1/4" thick slice of peasant bread - crust removed
1 large egg yolk
1 jarred piquillo pepper chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
cayenne pepper
salt

This is to be served with mussels. And I have everything I need for the whole dish - except I can't find the 2 little bottles of Saffron that I had.

Can I get away without it? I'm not bloody likely to go out to the wood shop in the cold and search through all my boxes that are left out there. So it's buy more or go without. I just don't think it will be as good without . . . . but?????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Oh how I hate not have my s#it together! by Harborwitch (From the newest Food...)
I think you are right that it won't be "as good", but looking at all of those other ingredients, I think it would still be delicious. Are the mussels steamed in this? Sounds wonderful, I am copying this one now that I have access to fresh shellfish.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Oh how I hate not have my s#it together! by Harborwitch (From the newest Food...)
hmmmm, good question, Sharon. I've never been able to discern flavor from saffron, unless its that it adds a little sweetness (?) to the product, in addition to color. Would a tad of sweetness be called for to substitute? and of course, you add a touch of tumeric for the color.

Let us know what you try.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Oh how I hate not have my s#it together! by chef_Tab (I think you are righ...)
Thank you ladies. The mussels are steamed with:

2 TBS EVOO
2 Heads of fennel, cored and diced,
1/4 c. of the fronds chopped.
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 1/4 c. fish stock
1/2 c. Pernod
4 lbs. mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded
1 TBS melted butter
1/2 c. chopped parsley

These flavors just scream my name - and we found some frozen mussels so we're eager to make this.
  Re: Re: Oh how I hate not have my s#it together! by Harborwitch (Thank you ladies. T...)
So, after a day of shopping and errands (and finding no saffron in town) we went to the woodshop, our storage "unit" here on the farm.

Aha! I now have my saffron, a whole bunch of other herbs and spices that I haven't been able to find, my Asian dinner ware and other odds and ends.

Several of the things I found I need to make the sauerbraten from the Slow Cooker book tomorrow night for Cousins' Roy and Harry.

Wheeeeeeeee! Now I just have a ton of dishes that need washing - and a place to store them, oh man - now I have a mess of work to do.
  Re: Re: Oh how I hate not have my s#it together! by Harborwitch (So, after a day of s...)
Sharon, you are really pi$$ing me off. Did you have to mention sauerbraten? sheesh. Now I have to fit that in soon. It's one of those things once I hear about it, I don't rest until I eat it. Sans ginger snaps please. Mom says that's just fools that put those in their sauerbraten. Mom looked and acted a lot like Maude (just so you get a mental picture) and add a German accent.

oh yeah,congrats on your discovery! Happy Friday indeed!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Oh how I hate not have my s#it together! by chef_Tab (Sharon, you are real...)
I've done about 5 sinkloads of dishes, and there are more to go - gotta get that dishwasher out of the woodshop tomorrow! Did I mention that the Japanese dishes are a 39 piece set - service for 12, and I bought 4 adorable white dinner plates at the 2nd hand store - the rims are wicker patterned. Cracks me up - we don't even know 12 people here!

After the news I'll get the marinade for the sauerbraten on (the recipe does call for gingersnaps, which is the way my mother always made it. I'm struggling with the tapioca, but oh well, I'll follow the recipe.
  Re: Re: Oh how I hate not have my s#it together! by Harborwitch (I've done about 5 si...)
Goodness, I am so glad you found some treasures! After several months, my mother is still digging out as well. I get frustrated with her, then think about my own move/renovations. Then I shut my mouth.

To be honest, I'm still missing some pewter ware from a move/renovation almost 11 years ago. It scares me that it may not have made the move. It has become an out of site, out of mind thing, actually.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Oh how I hate not have my s#it together! by Gourmet_Mom (Goodness, I am so gl...)
That so happens in a move, doesn't it. When we moved here, we relied on friends - made a 12-truck caravan. Since we moved out of a one-room school house, most of the excess had come out of the garage/barn we had built on the property. Hence most of the odds and end stuff went into the old dairy barn on the new property that we had bought, thinking we would unpack at our leasure. And then the barn burned. Sort of took care of that unpacking thing.

To this day, I still think of things that didn't survive the fire.
  Re: Re: Oh how I hate not have my s#it together! by iBcookin (That so happens in a...)
When I was managing the Island we had a storage shed and a huge garage. Bob's brother - thinking that he was helping stored all of our stuff (that we searched everywhere for) on the bottom shelves in the storage shed. Cr@p, old paint, and other junk went on the top shelves in the shed and in the garage.

Needless to say; when the Island flooded we lost so much stuff that meant so much to us, ah cr@p!!!