Coconut Oil
  Re: (...)
Do any of you use Coconut oil or Virgin Unrefined coconut oil?

I had heard of using it in cooking (med heat), baking and as a moisturizer. I bought some. Just curious if anyone on here uses it and how.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Coconut Oil by esgunn (Do any of you use Co...)
I'm not familiar with it. What does it taste like?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
I understand it has a wonderful flavor, but is full of saturated and trans fat. I also heard in the last few days that there is a version that may be ok, but the jury is still out.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Coconut Oil by Old Bay (I understand it has ...)
It is funny how you can find info to support either side of a topic. I found tons of stuff about how beneficial coconut oil is to you, natural weight loss, cholesterol, kidneys, fungus, ulcers, etc...

But on the other side is the Saturated fat issue. Wonder who is correct. Right now I am using it as a moisutizer on my hands (I like the smell of coconut) and am going to use it on the kids feet (dry and tough becasue of gymnastics). I have no problem with cholesterol so my try doing some cooking with it too.

I have the virgin unrefined coconut oil. It has a coconut scent and a light coconut taste. There is supposed to be a type that has a neutral taste.

Just cuious. I had heard about it from some triplet moms that are very organic/health consious eaters. They all swear by it.
Erin
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Coconut Oil by esgunn (It is funny how you ...)
I have not done much with it because of the nutritional values and low smoke point of it. But the flavor is outstanding. Let us know what all you use it in/for/with.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Coconut Oil by cjs (I have not done much...)
I used to use it a lot. I seem to recall something about the saturated fat in it being an okay sat.fat. I love the little touch of flaver.

I keep meaning to order some organic coconut oil from an organic grain mill I found - but I'm being nice to our UPS driver; he's been walking our packages in from the section line road and that's a good long hike. I'll wait until the muck dries up and he can get the truck in here.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
We use a lot of it. It's frightfully expensive. Unfortunately, our usage is for our German Shephard. He has a Pancreatic Enzyme Deficiency and it helps with his disease. We did a lot of research when we started, but that was some time ago and my memory isn't what it used to be. I do seem to remember some places with cooking usages. There was one site that was very good. I'll dig around and see if I can find it again. Dean
  Re: Re: Coconut Oil by kohlwolf (We use a lot of it. ...)
Hi, Dean! I'd love to hear what you found. I HATE coconut, but love the flavor and smell...I KNOW...WEIRD! I've decided it's a texture thing.

ANYWAY, welcome! Please share more!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Coconut Oil by Gourmet_Mom (Hi, Dean! I'd love ...)
Welcome, Dean! Thank you for joining in.

Daphne, I'm the same way with coconut: it's the texture that bothers me, so the water and milk are okay, but not the meat. In fact, I love the milk, and could drink it straight up, but especially like cooking with it. Great stuff!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Coconut Oil by labradors (Welcome, Dean! Than...)
Welcome Dean! Thanks for any info you remember/find.

Rob and Daphne, I think I am the same way. Hadn't really thought it all the way through. I always thought I hated coconut. But I like coconut shrimp (toasted and mixed with panko) and I love curries and soups made with coconut milk. Funny!
Erin
The time is flying by.