Thawing--Cast Iron
  Re: (...)
It works!! We took 2 frozen rib eye steaks from a -10 degree freezer and after an hour put them on a cast iron skillet (upside down)--2 hrs later, completly thawed!! I think that is incredable!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Thawing--Cast Iron by Old Bay (It works!! We took 2...)
I have a piece of flat aluminum (I think it aluminum) probably 1/2 inch thick, that I use to thaw meat. It works even better if I put a couple wood spoons underneath to elevate and get air circulation under it.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Thawing--Cast Iron by esgunn (I have a piece of fl...)
It seems like I've heard of that, but keep forgetting to try it. Thanks for the reminder, Bill! With my glass top stove, I've let William take my cast iron to the farm. But I think there's cracked griddle around here somewhere...I'll have to get it out. I am forevermore waiting dinner during the week for meat to thaw. This would be so helpful.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Thawing--Cast Iron by Gourmet_Mom (It seems like I've h...)
I think the granite countertop works great. Really.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Thawing--Cast Iron by luvnit (I think the granite ...)
huh
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thawing--Cast Iron by luvnit (I think the granite ...)
I agree about the granite countertop. Thaws it so quickly you don't have to worry about it being out of the refrigerator.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Thawing--Cast Iron by Dismc (I agree about the gr...)
Wow, this is a good thing to know about. I have 3 cast iron pans - small, large, and heavy enough I need to use both hands to lift it.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Thawing--Cast Iron by BarbaraS (Wow, this is a good ...)
Quote:

Wow, this is a good thing to know about. I have 3 cast iron pans - small, large, and heavy enough I need to use both hands to lift it.

Barbara

The principle is heat retention and distribution--cast iron holds heat and distributes it very well--and for a long time. Cold (in principle, less heat) works the same way. It pulls out what little heat is left (cold is just less heat) and distributes it over a large surface--I never thought about granite counter tops--maybe a marble slab would also work. I also like the skillet inverted so there is circulation under the pan.
  Re: Re: Thawing--Cast Iron by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Can't wait to try this, but why did you wait for an hour before thawing on the cast iron? Is that necessary for successful thawing?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Thawing--Cast Iron by Mare749 (Can't wait to try th...)
[blockquote]Quote:

Can't wait to try this, but why did you wait for an hour before thawing on the cast iron? Is that necessary for successful thawing? [/quote

No, I just didn't think of it earlier. The meat hadn't thawed at all after an hour, so I decided to try it--glad I did--should have started an hour earlier.