In need of Asian recipe ideas!
  Re: (...)
I returned from a trip to an ethnic/ produce market yesterday with 2 coolers full of produce and many bags of "other stuff".

Now I need help using it all up.

The 9 poblano peppers will be charcoal-grilled, peeled, and frozen for later use. As will some of the 14 red bell peppers.

But I got the best bargains from the Asian market-- I have a huge bag of mung bean sprouts ($1.39!) to find a use for (last night's lo mein only took so many from the bag); also lemongrass (6 stalks for only $3), fresh Shanghai noodles, and baby bok choy, all of which I need some ideas for.

And I went a little crazy with produce too-- not only the aforementioned peppers, but also zucchini, cilantro, avocados, jicama, shallots (6 huge peeled cloves for $2), and scallions.

So, CAH friends, upon reading this list do any particular dishes pop into your head?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: In need of Asian recipe ideas! by foodfiend (I returned from a tr...)
A few of my friends, here, have lemongrass growing in their yards, so I get it for free. Lemongrass + ginger + honey + lemon make a great tea.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: In need of Asian recipe ideas! by labradors (A few of my friends,...)
Lemon grass is also one of the main components for green curry.
Rob, I tried growing it in pots several times and never could get it to over-winter indoors. Apparently, that's not a problem where you are!

Thanks for the idea-- I didn't think about making a tea but as it will be chilly here tomorrow, I'm going to give it a try.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
Vicci, I made a nice post in response, but the system dropped...mine or the forum I don't know...but I won't post it again. The most important part was that I have tried about 6 different stir-fry recipes in the past couple of months. I have found one that really stands out. If you're interested, let me know.

I will be interested in responses about lemongrass. I got some from a friend and would like to use it. I'm looking for a recipe that will "showcase" the flavor...something that I will KNOW lemongrass is in there.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: In need of Asian recipe ideas! by Gourmet_Mom (Vicci, I made a nice...)
Vicci,

Not sure about pots. The lemongrass grows very well in the ground, here. One person I know has a patch of it about six feet square.

Daphne,

One of the Spanish-language cooking shows on the El Gourmet channel just had an interesting item, last night: Chicken Brochettes using lemongrass stalks as the skewers. Here's the translated recipe:

Chicken Brochettes
Makes four servings

Ingredients:
  • 1 3/4 Lb Ground chicken
  • 30 Branches Nira grass ("Chinese chives" or "Chinese green onions"), finely chopped
  • 10 Tsp Oyster sauce
  • 4 1/2 Tsp Brown sugar, packed
  • 10 Tsp Sherry vinegar
  • 1 Egg
  • 1/2 Cup Breadcrumbs
  • 15 Stalks Lemongrass
  • 1/2 Cup Teriyaki sauce
Instructions
  1. Start the coals and heat your grill.
  2. In a bowl, place the ground chicken, nira, oyster sauce, brown sugar, sherry vinegar and egg.
  3. Mix well.
  4. Add the bread crumbs.
  5. Mix again until well combined.
  6. Make a lengthwise incision about one-third of the way up from the root end of each stalk of lemon grass and gently mash the stalks at the incision.
  7. With wet hands, wrap small portions of the chicken mixture around the incision on each stalk, shaping the mixture around the stalks with the palm of your hand.
  8. Grill the brochettes, brushing them occasionally with teriyaki sauce, until the chicken is done and the sauce caramelises.
  9. For presentation, arrange the finished brochettes in a vase, with the chicken end up.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: In need of Asian recipe ideas! by foodfiend (Rob, I tried growing...)
Sounds like fun Vicci. I am no help here. I am a dolt when it comes to Asian cuisine.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: In need of Asian recipe ideas! by luvnit (Sounds like fun Vicc...)
Vicci I haven't seen a single stalk of lemongrass since we moved here - luckily I chopped and froze a bunch before we moved.

I love a simple chicken soup with just the broth, infused with lemongrass, a bit of ginger, and a clove of garlic. A few cilantro leaves tossed on top. Yum.

I'll check my Thai cookbook for some more ideas and post them later.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: In need of Asian recipe ideas! by Harborwitch (Vicci I haven't seen...)
I'm going thru my favorites and here are a few -

Vicci, did you ever try the stuffed poblanos with the walnut cream sauce (Oh my, how Billy loved these) - everyone loved them. And, the walnut sauce is fabulous on just about everything!

* Exported from MasterCook *

PORK-STUFFED POBLANOS

8 large poblano chile peppers
1 pound ground pork
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 small apple, chopped
1/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup diced almonds, toasted
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
Walnut Cream Sauce
Garnish: cinnamon sticks

Broil chile peppers on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet 5 inches from heat about 5 minutes on each side or until peppers look blistered.
Place chile peppers in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; seal and let stand 10 minutes to loosen skins. Peel peppers. Gently split chile peppers open lengthwise, keeping stems intact; remove and discard seeds. Set aside.

Cook pork in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it crumbles and is no longer pink. Add chopped onion and next 4 ingredients; cook, stirring often, 7 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in tomato and next 4 ingredients. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt

Stir together tomato sauce and next 3 ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat 5 minutes.

Spoon about 1/2 cup pork mixture into each pepper, and place in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Pour tomato sauce mixture over peppers.

Bake, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Top with Walnut Cream Sauce. Garnish, if desired, and serve over Cinnamon Rice Pilaf.
Yield: Makes 8 servings

Walnut Cream Sauce

1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Process all ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.

Yield: Makes 1 1/2 cups

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

this is yummy -

Vegetarian Red Curry Noodles - Ming Tsai

1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 large garlic cloves -- minced
3 large shallots -- thinly sliced
3 Thai chiles -- minced
3 stalks fresh lemongrass -- inner bulbs only, thinly sliced
1/4 cup minced fresh ginger
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tablespoons ground coriander
1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup snow peas
1 pound thin dried Chinese egg noodles or spaghettini
1 small red bell pepper -- very thinly sliced
1 cup chopped napa cabbage
1/2 cup shredded carrot

In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil. Add the garlic, shallots, chiles, lemongrass and ginger and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the aromatics are softened and golden, about 5 minutes. Add the brown sugar and coriander and cook until the sugar is melted, about 20 seconds.

Add the coconut milk and simmer, stirring, for 2 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and blend until pureed. Blend in the lime juice and fish sauce. Scrape the sauce into a glass measuring cup and season with salt and pepper. Leave the skillet on the stove.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the snow peas and blanch until bright green, about 40 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer them to a plate to cool. Add the noodles to the pot and cook, stirring, until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water.

Add 1 cup of the curry sauce to the skillet and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Add the noodles, snow peas, red pepper, cabbage and carrot and toss well to thoroughly coat the noodles with the sauce. Add some of the reserved cooking water if the noodles seem dry. Season with salt and pepper and serve right away.

Make Ahead

The sauce can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.

Description:
"This dish is a great showcase for the flavors of Southeast Asia: It's spicy, tart, creamy and slightly sweet. Use the extra curry as a marinade or pan sauce for chicken or pork. A Riesling from Australia's Clare Valley"

One more for lemongrass -

Warm Flank Steak Salad with Mint and Cilantro

1/4 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup minced fresh lemongrass (from 2 stalks)
One 2 1/2-pound flank steak
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 medium shallots -- thinly sliced
1/2 cup mint leaves
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
2 teaspoons roasted rice powder (optional -- see Note)

In a large glass baking dish, mix the soy sauce with the pepper and 2 tablespoons of the lemongrass. Add the flank steak and turn to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Light a grill. Grill the flank steak over moderately high heat, turning once, until charred on the outside but still pink within, about 8 minutes. Transfer the steak to a carving board and let stand for 5 minutes. Cut the steak in half lengthwise. Slice the halves across the grain 1/4 inch thick.

In a large wok or nonreactive skillet, combine the lime juice with the fish sauce, crushed red pepper, sugar and the remaining 2 tablespoons of lemongrass. Cook over moderate heat until hot.

Stir in the sliced steak along with 1 tablespoon of the marinade. Add the shallots, mint, cilantro and roasted rice powder, stirring to coat. Transfer the salad to plates and serve.

Notes

Roasted rice powder, also known as khao kua pon in Thailand, is available at Asian markets but can also be made at home. In a skillet, toast raw glutinous (sticky) rice over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 30 to 45 minutes. Transfer to a mortar or spice grinder and let cool. Grind the rice to a powder.Warm Flank Steak Salad with Mint and Cilantro

Wine: This steak salad packs a wallop that only a robust, spicy red can match. Try a Shiraz from South Australia, which balances the variety's pepperiness with rich fruit flavors.

Description:
"Thai cooks typically serve meat already sliced so it's easier to eat. Here, Andy Ricker tosses pieces of soy-marinated flank steak with fresh mint, cilantro and roasted rice powder. The powder (a thickener in Thai curries) adds a fun crunch but is optional"

Mung beans sprouts - this is great with leftover chicken

Asian Chicken Salad with Wasabi Dressing

4 skinless -- boneless chicken breast halves (1 3/4 pounds)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons wasabi powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
1 1/2 tablespoons water
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 heads Boston lettuce -- torn into bite-size pieces
1 large Asian pear-halved -- cored and thinly sliced
1/2 seedless cucumber -- halved lengthwise and thinly sliced on the bias
2 scallions -- white and green parts thinly sliced
1 cup mung bean sprouts
1/2 cup roasted wasabi peas -- coarsely chopped

In a large saucepan, cover the chicken breasts with water and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook over moderately low heat until the chicken is white throughout, about 12 minutes. Transfer the poached chicken breasts to a plate and let stand until cooled slightly, about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the rice vinegar, wasabi powder, Asian sesame oil and 1 1/2 tablespoons of water and season with salt and pepper.

In a large serving bowl, toss the lettuce with the Asian pear slices, cucumber, scallions, bean sprouts and 2/3 cup of the wasabi dressing. Slice the chicken breasts crosswise 1/4 inch thick and lay the slices on top of the salad. Spoon the remaining wasabi dressing over the chicken breasts, sprinkle with the chopped wasabi peas and serve at once.

Crisp, appley Riesling: 2007 Clos du Bois.

Pho (Vietnamese Beef & Rice-Noodle Soup)

For the broth:
4 pounds Oxtails -- cut into 1 1/2 to 2-inch pieces and trimmed of fat
1 piece ginger -- (3 inch) unpeeled
1 large onion -- halved and unpeeled
1/3 cup nuoc mam (fish sauce)
8 whole star anise
5 whole cloves
3 inch cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
3 bay leaves
For the garnish:
1 pound 1/4 inch rice noodles
2 bunches scallions -- sliced thin
1/2 cup tightly packed fresh cilantro leaves -- roughly chopped
1/2 cup parsley -- roughly chopped
1/2 cup basil -- approximately, whole fresh plants (minus roots) if possible
1 1/2 cups mung bean sprouts
3 large limes -- cut into wedges and seeds removed
Red chile paste or sliced fresh hot chilies (optional)
3/4 pounds filet mignon -- trimmed of fat and sliced very thin

Put the oxtails into a large stockpot and add enough water to cover the bones by 4 inches (about 2 gallons). Bring to a full boil and then lower the heat to a rapid simmer. Skim the scum that rises to the surface.

Meanwhile put the ginger and onion halves on a baking sheet and char them under the broiler until lightly blackened, 10 to 15 minutes. Turn them over halfway through cooking. When cool enough to handle, rinse the onion and ginger under running water, using a knife to scrape away some of the charred surface. Cut the ginger into 3 pieces and toss it and the onion halves into the simmering broth, along with 1 tablespoon salt and the fish sauce.

Put the star anise, cloves, and cinnamon stick in a small skillet and toast them on top of a stove burner over medium heat. Turn the spices a couple of times until they're slightly darkened (3 to 4 minutes) and until you smell their aroma. Put the toasted spices and fennel seeds in a small square of double thick cheesecloth and tie the bundle with a long piece of kitchen twine. Add the spice bundle and the bay leaves to the broth, tying the end of the twine to the pot handle for easy retrieval.

Let the broth simmer, uncovered, skimming occasionally. After 4 hours, remove the spice bundle, onion, bay leaves and ginger from the pot and discard. Remove the oxtails from the pot and set aside. Let the broth continue to simmer. When the meat is cool enough to handle, pull the meat from the bones. Set the meat aside and return the bones to the broth. Continue simmering, uncovered, until the broth is rich and flavorful, about 1 hour. Taste the broth and add more salt or fish sauce as needed.

Meanwhile, soak the rice noodles in cold water for at least 20 minutes. Arrange the sliced scallions, cilantro, parsley, basil, bean sprouts, lime wedges, and chiles on a platter in separate piles.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the drained rice noodles. Give the noodles a quick stir and cook until tender but firm, about 1 minute. Rice noodles can quickly become gummy, so don't let them overcook. Drain the noodles. Warm 6 large bowls by rinsing them with hot water and divide the noodles among the bowls.

Just before serving, return the broth to a full boil. Arrange the slices of raw filet and pieces of cooked oxtail meat over the noodles in each bowl. Carefully ladle the boiling broth over all; the raw beef should be submerged in the broth. Serve immediately, along with the platters of garnish.

Description:
"Recipe adapted from Nguyen Thi Thai Moreland by Shelly Doyle Show: Calling All Cooks"

Baby Bok Choy

We like sautéing bok choy with a little fresh ginger, soy, sugar, sesame oil in veggie oil.

Asian Pork, Mushroom and Noodle Stir-Fry

8 ounces Japanese curly noodles or instant ramen
3/4 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon Shaoxing or dry sherry
2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 large garlic cloves -- thinly sliced
2 large eggs -- beaten
1 pound pork tenderloin -- cut into 1/2-inch dice
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
10 ounces shiitake mushrooms -- stemmed and thinly sliced
2 heads baby bok choy -- sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick

Cook the noodles according to the package directions, then drain and rinse under cold water. In a measuring cup, mix the stock with the soy sauce, Shaoxing, sesame oil and crushed red pepper. In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with the water.

In a very large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat until golden, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the garlic to a plate. Add the eggs to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until set, about 1 minute. Transfer the eggs to the plate. Season the pork with salt and pepper. Add the pork to the skillet and stir-fry over moderately high heat until browned and just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Transfer the pork to the plate with the garlic and egg.

In the same skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat until tender, about 4 minutes. Add the bok choy and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the noodles and soy sauce and cornstarch mixtures and cook over moderate heat, tossing, until the sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, egg, pork and any accumulated juices and cook, tossing until the pork is heated through, 1 minute. Transfer to bowls and serve.

Floral Pinot Noir: 2007 Mt. Difficulty Central Otago.

Love these stuffed bell peppers.

STUFFED RED PEPPERS W/CHEESY POLENTA & GREEN CHILES

Recipe By :Southern Living, July '04
Serving Size : 6

3 medium red bell peppers
3/4 cup polenta or yellow cornmeal
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon freshly grd. pepper
1/2 cup whipping cream
7 ounces can whole green chiles, drained & chopped
2/3 cup chopped cilantro
8 ounces shredded Monterey jack cheese
2 ounces freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Garnish; fresh cilantro sprigs

Cut bell pepper in half (or cut a "lid" off); clean. Place pepper cups in a lightly greased 13X9" b. dish.
Whisk polenta & next 5 ingred. in lg. pan over medium heat; bring to a boil.
Cook, whisking constantly, 5-7 min. or till polenta thickens & is creamy.

Stir in cream and next 4 ingred., blending well.
Spoon mixture into pepper cups.
Bake at 400° for 25-30 min. or till peppers are tender.

I'll stop now - I've made myself unbelievably hungry!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: In need of Asian recipe ideas! by cjs (I'm going thru my fa...)
Jean! A veritable plethora of recipes!!!

The Asian Chicken Salad and Red Curry Noodles are going on the menu as soon as I can get them in. And yes, I have made the poblanos (w/ ground turkey stuffing) many times since I printed the recipe out... last spring?

Well, the post about dandan noodles had me dig out that particular issue and I found that this recipe will use the cukes, and the fresh noodles which I bought (the noodles are about 2’ long, and according to the note by the recipe, they “represent longevity in life… the longer the better!”). A recipe on the previous page for chicken pho will use a lot of the bean sprouts. Both recipes will use some of the scallions and cilantro. And another recipe in that same issue for “carnival slaw” will use the shallots, scallions, and jicama. Cool! So much food, so little time… too bad we’ll be gone for 2 meals tomorrow.

Denise, as much as I use curry paste I’ve never made any so maybe having this lemongrass will encourage me… and I love green curry, too.

Daphne, a Thai soup called TomYum uses a lot of lemongrass—it’s a very dominant flavor and delicious. And I'm sorry that you did a "Vicci" when typing a long post! If I had a quarter for every time...

Alas, in order to get all of my “spoils of the day” into the refrigerators, I cut off the tops of the lemongrass stalks which I could have used as skewers…
Vicci

my cooking adventures