Tartar Sauce
  Re: (...)
We have some pretty good tartar sauce brands here, but I thought I might experiment with home made today. Does anybody have a really good tried and true? I'm also on a search for remoulade. I think Jean has posted one that everyone has liked. This is an unfamiliar sauce for us, but if I'm correct, we may be converts.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Tartar Sauce by Gourmet_Mom (We have some pretty ...)
You have mine so I won't post it. Remoulade, I love -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Remoulade Sauce

12 fluid ounces Basic Mayonnaise
1 1/3 ounces Capers -- chopped
1 1/3 ounces Cornichons -- chopped
2 tablespoons Chives -- chopped
2 tablespoons Chervil -- chopped
2 tablespoons Tarragon -- chopped
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/3 teaspoon Anchovy paste
1/4 teaspoon Salt
Worcestershire sauce -- to taste
Tabasco sauce -- to taste

Combine all of the ingredients and mix well. Hold the sauce under refrigeration. Adjust the seasoning just before serving, if necessary. Makes about 2 cups

Here's the Remoulade sauce from Issue #38 that is very good also and easier ingredients to have on hand.

1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup scallions, chopped
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup mayo
2 T. shallots chopped
2 T. chopped fresh parsley
2 T. honey
1 T. fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste

process till all finely shopped. Seaso with salt & pepper and chill.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tartar Sauce by cjs (You have mine so I w...)
Hmmmm? Do I have your tartar sauce, or are you talking your remoulade? If the remoulade, yes, I do. Now I have another one to try.

Regarding YOUR remoulade, I was thinking, I've got gerkins to sub for the cornichons, but what about less the amount of green onion (green part only) for the chive and start with half a teaspoon each of the chervil and tarragon and taste. The capers I now keep on hand...we've learned we REALLY like those, especially William! Between the horseradish and capers, I'm thinking William, the tartar sauce KING, is going to convert really quick!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Tartar Sauce by Gourmet_Mom (Hmmmm? Do I have yo...)
Oh I read your post as you had my tartar sauce. Do you want it? well, here it is anyway.

* Exported from MasterCook *

TARTAR SAUCE
This is a take off from a recipe in Choices for a Healthy Heart book.

1 cup mayonnaise
3 tbsps green olives -- stuffed w/pimentos -- minced
3 tbsps onion -- minced
3 tbsps parsley -- minced
3 tbsps sweet pickle relish

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Can be made a day ahead.
Description:
"The tartar sauce recipe has lasted over the years with no changes, it worked out well from day one."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I think the changes you mention would be a good idea - I especially have to play with tarragon, 'cause there are some things I just don't care for it in. I still don't have any catfish....I'm going to envy your dinner, that's for sure.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tartar Sauce by cjs (Oh I read your post ...)
Lol all I use is mayo and dill pickle relish with a bit of the juice

My fav is mayo and fresh dill and lemon juice
  Re: Re: Tartar Sauce by DFen911 (Lol all I use is may...)
Well, I wound up just making the remoulade. I found a bottle of purchased tartar sauce in the fridge. After tasting the remoulade, there was no longer any need for tartar sauce. He loves it!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Tartar Sauce by DFen911 (Lol all I use is may...)
My late first FIL owned a restaurant in the Seattle area and gave me some of my first cooking "lessons". Tartar sauce was one of the first.

Like yours - mayo, dill relish. But he added finely diced onion, fresh or dried dill, lemon juice,and lots of fresh parsley. Walter didn't measure anything, just did it by taste and feel. He'd always make it a couple hours ahead, at least, so it would firm up a bit and the flavors would blend.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Tartar Sauce by Harborwitch (My late first FIL ow...)
Thanks Sharon, the addition of the diced onion, dill and parsley is probably what I'm looking for in a good tartar sauce. I'll try that next time. I've tired it with mayo, lemon juice, and relish, but it just didn't satisfy.

For now, we'll enjoy the remoulade!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Tartar Sauce by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Sharon, the a...)
I think he used white onion too. Forgot to mention that. I use red onion - sorry Walt!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Tartar Sauce by Harborwitch (I think he used whit...)
I'll probably use red also. It's William's favorite. I imagine Walt used white for the color, you think?
Daphne