Storing your Onions and Potatoes
  Re: (...)
Well I store most of our veggies, carrots, celery, green onions and the like in the fridge. However, onions and potatoes I just don't have the room for or even know what to do with.

How do you all store these staple vegetables in your kitchen. I know you aren't supposed to do store them together. But I would like some ideas if you have any.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Storing your Onions and Potatoes by luvnit (Well I store most of...)
I keep them in a closet off our carport. It is cool in there and mostly dark. I also keep shallots and garlic there too. Usually works. I do have to be careful when we have freezing temps.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Storing your Onions and Potatoes by esgunn (I keep them in a clo...)
I have them in separate baskets in a cupboard. Dark and cool is the key and keep an apple in your potatoes and they won't get any "eyes" growing
  Re: Re: Storing your Onions and Potatoes by DFen911 (I have them in separ...)
The problem, here, is that the only "cool" is the fridge unless one just happens to have air conditioning, so I don't buy many of these things unless I'll be using them within a relatively short time.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Storing your Onions and Potatoes by labradors (The problem, here, i...)
Well that is going to be my online search today to find a great way to store my onions and potatoes.

I will update you all with what I find. I still wanna know what you all do, incase it will work for me.

Here are some ways I found at an organizing blogspot.

The light colored ones are from a store called Dibor. The dark willow hopper is from Bed Bath and Beyond.
[Image: potato-onion-shallot-hoppers.png] [Image: potato-basket.png] [Image: Potato-Onion-bins.jpg]

I kinda like these with the zipper on the side, but I wouldn't really need a special bag to store them in. Now my problem is, "Where do I put this cute bag?"
[Image: potato.jpg]

Now these are okay. But again, same problem, where do you put them?

[Image: potato-onion-bin-pine.jpg] [Image: vegetable-potato-onion-storage.png] [Image: potato-onion-bin.jpg]

Honestly, I am not trying to spend any money unless its something really practical and works well. I'd store them in a paper bag if it works and I have a spot for it.

Oh now I found this! I kinda like it because it looks cute. But I need to find an area to store them and if I do that I really can use anything to put them in.

[Image: page4-3.jpg]

Can you store onions and potatoes next to each other??
Laura
  Re: Re: Storing your Onions and Potatoes by labradors (The problem, here, i...)
My pantry is fairly dark and cool, so a large supply is kept there of potatoes, onions, shallots, etc. But, I also have a three-tiered basket hanging in the kitchen with a few of each for handy use.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Storing your Onions and Potatoes by cjs (My pantry is fairly ...)
Well after seeing those cute ways to store onions and potatoes which Laura posted, I am embarrassed to say that I store mine in the basement, in net bags which oranges came in... I store them in separate bags, but they are close in proximity (2'?)
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Storing your Onions and Potatoes by foodfiend (Well after seeing th...)
That another question I have Vicci. How far apart should they be? And how cool is it supposed to be?

You are right, these are all cute containers. I store my onions is an old, very large sour cream container (from sam's club). My potatoes stay in the same bag I got them in the store. I think I am really trying to find a location rather than a container. Really I think I need to reorganize my kitchen cupboards.
Laura
  Re: Re: Storing your Onions and Potatoes by luvnit (That another questio...)
I love all those containers, Laura, but I don't have room either for the container. In the winter, we keep ours on the sun porch in a three tiered rattan basket but when it gets hot I have to keep them in the fridge - anywhere that is out in the open here in the coastal area attracts those palmetto bugs -yuck. I would like to know an alternate place as well. But those cotainers are so sweet!!
  Re: Re: Storing your Onions and Potatoes by (I love all those con...)
They don't really last very long here...I only buy potatoes in 5 pound bags and onions by how many I'll need the coming week. In the winter, I will keep the onions in a bowl on the counter and the potatoes in the ventilated bag they come in, usually in the laundry room. Like Sonja, I keep everything in the fridge...not only palmetto bugs are a problem but also fruit flies.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.