Jean, did you remember?
  Re: (...)
I had a very productive day. I've got stocks simmering, the freezer is filled back up, fridge is cleaned out, Turkey Osso Buco is doing its thing, vinagrettes made, and my most anticipated project well on its way! Jean did you get your salmon in the cure? Here's mine: (The second picture is the piece I cut off. I'll have it for grilling in a week or two.)

[Image: DSC04013.jpg]

[Image: DSC04014.jpg]
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Jean, did you remember? by Gourmet_Mom (I had a very product...)
Wow you really did have a productive day! Doesn't that salmon look great. Do you weigh it down now? Hmmm. I should pull up that gravlax recipe from Cooking for Engineers.

Gravlax - Cooking for Engineers.com

You and Jean will definitely have to report on this, looks very good.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Jean, did you remember? by luvnit (Wow you really did h...)
Yes, I wrapped a brick with foil and laid it on top after covering it in plastic. I can't wait for Monday! I'm thinking of serving it on top of pasta with a cream sauce...maybe the pink vodka sauce Vicci used for her Lobster Ravioli. I'll have to look into that.

Later in the week we'll have salmon crostini with a dill/caper cream cheese spread and leftovers, including a salad with salmon. Sort of a grazing dinner. We love those!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Jean, did you remember? by Gourmet_Mom (Yes, I wrapped a bri...)
OMG that all sounds so divine!
Laura
  Re: Re: Jean, did you remember? by luvnit (OMG that all sounds ...)
Yep....just looked Vicci's Pink Sauce up in MC. While this sounds nice, I talked myself into something else. As I typed ideas, it hit me....why not flavor my cream sauce with capers and lemon. I love that combination, and I think the flavors would compliment the salmon nicely. If somebody has a better idea, please let me know. I'm thinking of just doing some plain pasta with a light cream sauce with the salmon on top.

Oh, and Laura, I just looked at your site. My recipe is similar, but I added a touch of cumin to the 2:1 salt to sugar, as well as some white pepper. Also, I topped it with dill AND fennel fronds. The lemons you already saw. I forgot the vodka...oh well! The biggest difference was the cut your site demonstrated. What your site showed is what I have always seen, but when Kelli demonstrated it, she sliced off slivers of salmon perpendicular to the skin. Mine came without skin, much to my dismay when I got home, but I'll make it work. I can't wait!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Jean, did you remember? by Gourmet_Mom (Yep....just looked V...)
Well it looks just georgous. Did you use wild salmon or farmed? I'd probably have to use farmed here. Much cheaper. But I love wild. Not sure if in this application it would make much of a difference though.

Don't know if Jean saw this so I brought it up again.
Laura
  Re: Re: Jean, did you remember? by luvnit (Well it looks just g...)
You know, I don't know. I forgot to look. I picked it up at Sam's yesterday. I THINK theirs is usually wild, but I wouldn't swear to it. It's been a while since we've had salmon....I kinda wore it out there for a while and lost my taste for it...until I went to this cooking demo. I have heard about gravalax, but had never tasted it; therefore, I was a little leery about dropping the bucks for the salmon. I'm very excited about it now!

I just finished looking through some recipes for ideas on how to use the excess. I'm pretty sure I have enough for the two of us to try the "Top Notch Salmon Cakes" that Roxanne reviewed long ago and the "Orange Glazed Salmon" in Cuisine for Two (Vol. 2). I haven't checked on a review for that one....off now to see.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Jean, did you remember? by Gourmet_Mom (You know, I don't kn...)
That salmon looks beautiful!! I use capers in my sauce for salmon as well along with lots of fresh dill, a touch of caviar and a just a tiny bit of anchovy paste and a tiny bit of coarse Dijon mustard. Gosh, you were a busy gal today!
  Re: Re: Jean, did you remember? by (That salmon looks be...)
Sonja, that sounds so elegant. Love it make that some time.
Laura
  Re: Re: Jean, did you remember? by luvnit (Sonja, that sounds s...)
I agree, Laura. I can always change my mind about the larger piece of excess salmon. I had originally planned to grill it on cedar planks, but didn't have a creative sauce in mind. Bill posted a fabulous Grapefruit Beurre Blanc a while back that we love, but that's one of the recipes I wore out...thus the search for something new. While I may not be able to swing the caviar...never even seen it around here...I like the sounds of the rest of that sauce. Is it a cream sauce, Sonja? Tell me more!
Daphne