Anyone Tried Fried Tomatoes??
  Re: (...)
Not fried 'green' tomatoes - but fully ripe tomatoes? I never have. We met a British couple at the Proper British Bacon Cheese & Meat booth in Issaquah's farmers market Saturday. They were telling me the most favorite meal is British bacon, fried tomatoes and potatoes.

Here's the link to the vendor -
www.properbritishbacon.com

I googled fried tomatoes and did find a couple of ideas for them, and I think I'll try the 2nd idea tonight.

Fried Tomatoes and Chorizo

2 - 3 x Tomatoes - sliced in half
1 x Chorizo Sausage - quartered, or sliced
Toast
Olive Oil
Brown Sugar
Chili Powder
Balsamic Vinegar
Pepper and Salt - if desired, to taste
Garlic - if desired
Sambal Oeleck - if desired

In a non-stick frypan, add the Olive Oil and bring to heat. If using the Garlic and Sambal, add it to the heating Oil and allow to sizzle - this brings the flavours out. Slice the Tomatoes in half and place them in the frypan. Do the same with the Chorizo.

As the tomatoes are frying, add half a teaspoon of Brown Sugar to each one, and a pinch of Chili Powder. Fry until soft, then add a little Balsamic Vinegar to each tomato.

Put the toast on your plate and add some tomatoes to each one. Add some Chorizo. Add Pepper and Salt, if desired, and enjoy.

-----

Pan-Fried Tomatoes

4 large ripe tomatoes
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
1/4 cup bacon drippings

Cut tomatoes into 1/2-inch-thick slices, and sprinkle tomato slices evenly with salt and pepper. Let tomato slices stand 30 minutes.

Pat tomato slices dry, and dredge in breadcrumbs.
Cook tomato slices, in batches, in hot bacon drippings in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately.
Southern Living, MARCH 2002

---

I think I'll wait for some real good beef steak-like tomato slices for the first one.

I defrosted some of my bacon to taste the two together.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Anyone Tried Fried Tomatoes?? by cjs (Not fried 'green' to...)
Now there's a question: how may I identify which variety of tomatoes our stores have? They don't have names like "Rutgers," "Beefsteak," "Big Girl," etc. - just three types: tomates manzanas ("apple tomatoes" - the big, round ones), tomates peras ("pear tomatoes" - Romas), and tomates cerezas ("cherry tomatoes").
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
My SIL's Dad was British, and a proper Sunday breakfast always included fried tomatoes. The 2nd recipe looks very close. They were really good.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Anyone Tried Fried Tomatoes?? by Lorraine (My SIL's Dad was Bri...)
Labs, just go with what you can get - the meatiest of the varieties.

Good to know, Lorraine!! thanks. I'm really looking forward to dinner tonight!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Anyone Tried Fried Tomatoes?? by cjs (Labs, just go with w...)
I've never heard of this, but it sure does sound good! One of my favorite sandwiches in the whole world is a good BLT!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Anyone Tried Fried Tomatoes?? by cjs (Labs, just go with w...)
Quote:

Labs, just go with what you can get - the meatiest of the varieties.

That's the opposite of my question. I'm not trying to figure out what to use, but what the tomatoes they sell here ARE.

When I want a meaty tomato, I use the Romas. If I want the juice, I get the manzanas.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Anyone Tried Fried Tomatoes?? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
O.K. sorry - have no idea what you need. (so I'll go to my room )

Daphne, that's what Roy and I were thinking after we got into this - I bet a BLT with basil and a fried tomato would be outstanding!! I may even try British bacon on it.
www.achefsjourney.com
Jean I had friends from NZ years ago that frequently had "fried tomatoes" and onions for breakfast instead of potatoes. It was just sliced onions, wedges of tomatoes, in some oil with salt, pepper, and brown sugar. It's been 30 years, and I wish I could remember how she did it. Good lord it was good.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Anyone Tried Fried Tomatoes?? by Harborwitch (Jean I had friends f...)
I would say the only thing would be to place the sliced tomatoes on a paper towel to absorb some of the moisture or they'll just steam in the pan.
  Re: Re: Anyone Tried Fried Tomatoes?? by DFen911 (I would say the only...)
Well, it was certainly a treat!
[Image: BritishBacon.jpg]

Bacon grease was much better, Sharon

And yes, the tomatoes rested on p.towels for 30 minutes, so that really made them brown up.

Daphne and I both thought this was an idea for using fried tomatoes on a BLT, but after eating them I don't think I'd like them. I guess I just want that sun-ripened wonderful flavor of the tomato on the BLT.

The bacon was good, but I don't think it was any better than our homemade bacon. In fact Roy thinks mine is better, but he could be prejudiced.

Overall, we both really enjoyed dinner. I'm going to try the first method I mentioned up above and see how that works.
www.achefsjourney.com