Sea Scallops - Ideas?
  Re: (...)
I gave up buying seafood unless it was super fresh and it's been so long since we have had sea scallops. I found them at Sam's, it was a 2 lb. bag individually flash frozen. They look good, nice a big. I'd like to make two different recipes for hubby and me.

I am interested in suggestions from you all. I think one pasta recipe is a must. Wasn't there a grapfruit sauce out there that someone had? Maybe Daphe's sauce?

Well if any of you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Sea Scallops - Ideas? by luvnit (I gave up buying sea...)
Laura, do you have the latest Cuisine issue? There's a recipe for Thai Cashew Noodles with Spicy Scallops that looks great. I was going to post it as my birthday review dinner last month but never had time to get to it. Really want to try it soon. If you don't have the issue, I'll type it in for you if you're interested.
Shannon
  Re: Sea Scallops - Ideas? by luvnit (I gave up buying sea...)
Our favorite is Bob's Bacon Wrapped Sea Scallops with Vanilla Salt. He par-cooks the bacon then wraps it around the scallops and pan sears them in a screaming hot pan. I'm not sure if I've posted the Vanilla Salt recipe. I'll check.

Then there's the recipe in Billy's cookbook - with creamed leeks and an apple jelly. Yum.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Sea Scallops - Ideas? by Harborwitch ( Our favorite is Bob...)
"with creamed leeks and an apple jelly. Yum." that one is so good!!!

I've got some more ideas for you, but I'll post them tomorrow a.m.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sea Scallops - Ideas? by cjs ("with creamed leeks ...)
AHHHH! The Alexander Sauce made with just crab and served over pasta with seared scallops! YUM! (I HATE that William doesn't like scallops. It comes from his knowledge that some of them are really skate cut with cookie cutters. )

The Grapefruit Sauce is the one Bill posted with his Salmon, which is really good! I also experimented with a lemon sauce recently that is based on Bill's original. It was very good! I basically switched out lemon for grapefruit and added capers, red onion (shoulda' been shallot), and dill. I thinned it out to serve with pasta, though.

I also think an Asian glaze would be good. I have a great stir-fry sauce that would be great reduced and used to glaze them after searing. That Sweet and Sour Rice recipe is good to go with!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Sea Scallops - Ideas? by Gourmet_Mom (AHHHH! The Alexande...)
Here's a couple of ideas -

Sear scallop over high heat, turn over and cook just till barely done. Place on a warmed platter and top with a piping of sour cream or creme fraiche, top this with slivers of red onion, and top it all off with a spoon of black caviar. These are pretty served in the Asian spoons.

-----

* Exported from MasterCook *

Bay Scallop Gratin - Ina Garten

6 tablespoons unsalted butter -- at room temperature
6 large garlic cloves -- minced
2 medium shallots -- minced
2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto di Parma -- minced
4 tablespoons minced fresh parsley -- plus extra for garnish
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons Pernod
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 tablespoons good olive oil
1/2 cup panko
6 tablespoons dry white wine
2 pound fresh bay scallops
Lemon -- for garnish

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place 6 (6-inch round) gratin dishes on a sheet pan.

To make the topping, place the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (you can also use a hand mixer).

With the mixer on low speed, add the garlic, shallot, prosciutto, parsley, lemon juice, Pernod, salt, and pepper and mix until combined. With the mixer still on low, add the olive oil slowly as though making mayonnaise, until combined. Fold the panko in with a rubber spatula and set aside.

Preheat the broiler.

Place 1 tablespoon of the wine in the bottom of each gratin dish. With a small sharp knife, remove the white muscle and membrane from the side of each scallop and discard. Pat the scallops dry with paper towels and distribute them among the 3 dishes.

Spoon the garlic butter evenly over the top of the scallops. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the topping is golden and sizzling and the scallops are barely done. If you want the top crustier, place the dishes under the broiler for 2 minutes, until browned.

Finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a sprinkling of chopped parsley and serve immediately with crusty French bread.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This one makes a lot, but you can do how ever many servings you want - easy to cut down.

TERRINES OF SMOKED SALMON & SCALLOPS

Recipe By :a Chef's Journey via Bon Appetit, 12/01
Serving Size : 12

2 lbs sea scallops
1 c dry white wine
1 1/3 c Chives -- fresh, chopped
3/4 c Creme Fraiche -- or sour cream
1/2 c minced fresh tarragon + 3 T.
5 tbsps Dijon mustard
1 1/3 c diced peeled seeded English hothouse cucumber
1 lb thinly sliced smoked slamon
3/4 c olive oil
1/3 c tarragon vinegar
2 bunch watercress -- thick stems trimmed
2 head Belgian endive -- large, trimmed, leaves separated

Combine scallops & wine in skillet. Cover & simmer over med. heat till scallops are just opaque in center, ~5 min. Drain; chill till cold ~2 hours. Cut scallops into 1/2" pcs.

Line 12 3/4-cup souffle dishes w/plastic wrap, extending over sides by 3". Whisk 1 cup fresh chives, creme fraiche, 1/2 cup tarragon & 3 T. mustard in large bowl to blend. Gently stir in scallops & cucumber. Season w/salt/Pepper. Cut 12 rounds from salmon slices to fit bottom of souffle dishes; place 1 round in each dish. Top each with 1/4 cup scallop mixture. Top each w/another layer of salmon, trimming to fit. Divide remaining scallop mixture among dishes - about 1/4 cup for each. Top each with a third layer of salmon, trimming to fit. Fold plastic wrap overhang over terrines to enclose completely. Chill at least 4 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.)

Whisk oil, vinegar & 1/3 cup chives, 3 T. tarragon & 2 T. mustard in medium bowl to blend. Season to taste w/salt/pepper.

Unfold plastic wrap atop each terrine. Invert 1 terrine onto each of 12 plates. Peel off plastic wrap from each terrine. Surround each terrine w/watercress sprigs & endive leaves. Drizzle greens & terrines w/vinaigrette & serve.

Description:
"These can be made one day ahead, then drizzle w/vinaigrette just before serving."

ANGEL HAIR PASTA WITH SEARED SEA SCALLOPS & CREAM

1 1/2 lbs sea scallops
salt and pepper
2 tbsps unsalted butter
1 med shallot -- minced
2 inch ginger root -- peel, sliced thin & julienned
2/3 c dry white wine
2 tbsps white wine vinegar
1 c heavy cream
1/4 c chives -- snipped fresh, or 1/2 cup chopped scallion greens
1 lb angel hair pasta

Heat oven to 200 degrees. Bring 4 qts. water to a boil in pot for cooking pasta.

Sprinkle scallops on both sides w/salt/pepper. Heat a large saute pan over med-high heat till hot.
Add half the butter; swirl to coat the bottom. Continue to heat till the butter begins to turn golden brown.
Add half the scallops, one at a time flat side down, cook, adjusting the heat as necessary to prevent the butter from burning, till the scallops are well browned, 1 1/2 - 2 min.
Using tongs, turn the scallops, one at a time, cook till med-rare (sides firmed up & all but the middle 1/3 of scallop is opaque), 30 seconds to 1 1/2 min. longer, depending on size.
Transfer scallops to warm platter. Cover w/foil & keep warm. Repeat the cooking process w/remaining butter & scallops.

Return the scallop skillet to the burner, reduce the heat to low.
Add the shallot & ginger & cook till the shallot softens slightly, 1-2 min.
Increase the heat to high, add the wine & vinegar & boil, scraping the pan bottom w/wooden spoon to loosen caramelized bits, till the liquid reduces to a glaze, 4-5 min.

Add the cream, 1/2 tsp. salt & 1/8 tsp. pepper, bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat; simmer till the cream reduces very slightly, ~1 min. longer.
Stir in the chives or scallions.

Meanwhile, add 1 T. salt & the pasta to the boiling water. Cook till al dente.
Drain the pasta & return it to the pot.
Add the sauce; toss to coat. Divide the pasta among individual plates, arranging a portion of scallops around or on top of each.
Serve immediately.

NOTE: It's critical for the formation of a good crust to leave the scallop alone once it hits the pan. Turn the scallops once and brown on the second flat side. Tongs are the best tool to use, but a spatula can be used in a pinch.

Be sure the start cooking the pasta while the liquid is reducing. -if using dry.

Description:
"Scallops are seared in butter to form a nicely caramelized crust that contrasts w/the tender interior."

I'll stop now...love scallops.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sea Scallops - Ideas? by Gourmet_Mom (AHHHH! The Alexande...)
Poor William - I have several friends who absolutely go nuts for skate. I've been dying to try it, but doubt we'll see it here in NoDak - home of the walleye.

Next time we go to Sams I'll have to look for the scallops.
  Re: Re: Sea Scallops - Ideas? by Dismc (Laura, do you have t...)
Quote:

Laura, do you have the latest Cuisine issue? There's a recipe for Thai Cashew Noodles with Spicy Scallops that looks great. I was going to post it as my birthday review dinner last month but never had time to get to it. Really want to try it soon. If you don't have the issue, I'll type it in for you if you're interested.

I have that issue, I will pull it out and take a look at that. It would definitely be something I would not have thought of making.

Sharon - Hmmm... Vanilla salt? Very interesting I mentioned that one to hubby last night and we were both intrigued.

Leeks and apple jelly. I will have to get Billy's book out. I have always wanted to make that one and get a photo of it.

Daphne - Check this out! I had heard this same story with 'shark fins' and 'skate. I am not sure it's true. I have found it may be an urban legend. But again, not sure.

Quote:

Q: Are skates really used to make "imitation" scallops?
A: The long-held myth that skate wings are often cut into pieces to be sold as scallops is one of those "believe it or not" stories that was never a common practice. The unusual bands of muscle fibers in skate wings would make it very difficult to produce a product that remotely resembles a scallop. In addition, this process would probably be so labor intensive that the resulting product could make the product cost almost as much as the real scallop that it was intended to imitate. Although the myth is untrue, it does pay homage to the sweet and appealing shellfish-like taste of skate.

Here is a skate-wing skinned:

[Image: skinned-skate-wing.jpg]

Here is a cooked skatewing:

http://www.loving-long-island.com/image-...tilage.jpg
" />

See how easily the cartilage peels away from the meat. Also note the long muscle fibers. Sea scallops don't look anything like this.

People who eat skate have told me that it would be impossible confuse the two.

That being said, I have had scallops at restaurants that just don't taste right. They don't taste like they are 'bad', but the flavor and texture is off. Not sure if this is a 'faux scallop' or just what it is.

Jean - I like the looks of the angel hair and cream sauce. I will have to read through the smoked salmon one. Is that with lox? I gotta do that too. Gravlax.

I also remember making Daphne's Alexander sauce. Cream sauce and scallops are so wonderful. Yummy.

I will diet NEXT week.

Re: Re: Sea Scallops - Ideas? by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
...and you'll probably have to buy more scallops!!

yes, gravlax is the best to use.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sea Scallops - Ideas? by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
This is the Vanilla Salt recipe I used. I found it in Plate Magazine where it was used in a different recipe. I just thought it would be so good on the triple applewood smoked bacon wrapped scallops. I cut the recipe way way down.

VANILLA SALT
Executive Chef Jonathan Harootunian Cosentino Winery - Yountville, Calif., USA

Yield: About 2 1/2 Lb

2lb Flaked sea salt
1/4 C Red peppercorns, ground
2 Green cardamom pods, ground
2 Vanilla beans, halved lengthwise, scraped
Dash Freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 C Sugar or to taste

Instructions:
Combine ingredients and mix well. Reserve in deli containers or mason jars.