Some New Recipes - Hilo Haupia, too
  Re: (...)
Been a fun couple of days getting some things together to treat my aunt and sister tomorrow. Neither cook and both love to eat, so it works out great.

This pie was posted on another forum and sounded so good and my rhubarb needed to have its first cut = haven't cut into it yet, but the juice that dripped is delicious!

Rhubarb Custard Pie - SOON

Pastry crust for 10" Pie - Top & Bottom crust
-----
4 c. Rhubarb -- cut into 1/2" Pieces
1 1/2 c. Sugar
1/8 t. Salt
1/8 t. Ground Nutmeg
1 1/2 Tbs. Flour
-----
1 Sm. Can Evaporated Milk (2/3 c.)
3 Eggs

Mix rhubarb pieces with the sugar, salt, nutmeg & flour. Beat the eggs and evaporated milk together and pour over, incorporate all.

Pour into 10" pastry crust, top with lattice. Sprinkle top liberally with sugar.

Bake at 450* for 15 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 350* and continue baking for 1 hour or until set. Allow to cool completely before cutting.

Description:
"BethK posted this on this thread - [url=http://forums.cooking.com/showthread.php?t=8470"]http://forums.cooking.com/showthread.php?t=8470"[/url]

[Image: Rhubarbcustardpieapr20.jpg]

This one is a dessert we had in Hawaii, most of you have probably had it over there too.

Hilo Haupia Squares

Macadamia cookie crust:
1 cup butter
2 cups flour
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup finely chopped macadamia nuts
Haupia mixture:
2 cans 12-oz. each coconut milk
2 cups milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 cup toasted sweetened flaked coconut (I didn’t use sweetened)
8 oz. chopped fresh Waimea strawberries (opt.)

Preheat oven to 350° F.

In a med. Mixing bowl, cut butter into flour with a pastry blender. Stir in brown sugar and macadamia nuts, and mix well. Press dough into a 13”X9” baking pan. Bake 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.

In a large saucepan, ix coconut milk with milk. Mix sugar with cornstarch, and stir into unheated milk mixture. Cook on medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens. Pour mixture over baked crust. Chill. Garnish with coconut and, if desired, strawberries.

Cooking tip: Oven-toast coconut on a dry baking sheet in a preheated 325° F. oven, turning coconut occasionally, until lightly browned. (or brown in a skillet over medium heat, watch carefully and stir often)

[Image: HaupiaSquares.jpg]

And this one is from the new F&W magazine, so I won't post the recipe, but here's the link. Laura called my attention to it the other day and we laughed about one of the ingredients - a jar of cocktail onions. It is delicious. go for it, Laura, it's a winner.

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/santa...inoa-salad

[Image: QuinoaSaladapr20.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Some New Recipes - Hilo Haupia, too by cjs (Been a fun couple of...)
The coconut dessert looks really yummy!

Now I will have to try the Quinoa and black bean salad. I will even do the cocktail onions! Thanks for the review Jean! If I am ever a hobo I will just move to your neck of the woods and eat from your garbage can!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Some New Recipes - Hilo Haupia, too by cjs (Been a fun couple of...)
That pie looks to die for!!!! May have to call Cousin Roy and see how the calving (and the rhubarb) are going! A nice dinner invitation with a chocolate dessert ought to be incentive.

Funny - haven't seen any rhubarb in the stores here - oh #ell - why does that surprise me???
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Some New Recipes by Harborwitch (That pie looks to di...)
I do have my first batch of rhubarb coming up and an just waiting to pick it. This will be a dessert I make -- and soon!
Laura
  Re: Re: Some New Recipes by luvnit (I do have my first b...)
My rheubarb is ready too!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Some New Recipes by esgunn (My rheubarb is ready...)
Ready??? Already??? I better check mine!!!

Not ready yet, by a longshot! Only about 6" high.
Laura
  Re: Re: Some New Recipes by luvnit (Ready??? Already??? ...)
I found a bunch of recipes for rhubarb in my mom's recipe book last weekend. I'll try to post some this weekend. I need to look for it this year....I missed it last year.

Although, I'm starting to feel the strain of that final month of school coming on. I race home, prep dinner, hit the deck with a book and wind up nodding, cook dinner, clean, read a little more and go to bed.

Oh, I forgot the glasses of wine in there....
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Some New Recipes by Gourmet_Mom (I found a bunch of r...)

love Rhubarb - will try soon.

marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Some New Recipes by mjkcooking ([br]love Rhubarb - ...)
Well, I'm mixed on the Rhubarb pie - the flavor was delicious and it did set up, but there was an 'off' texture to it, almost like the eggs had curdled. But, with the flavor, I'd make it again. Hopefully, if any of you do try it, you'll let me know how yours turns out.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Some New Recipes by cjs (Well, I'm mixed on t...)
Bringing to the top for Maryann - the Hilo Haupia is in the first post. This time, since she is having trouble eating, I did not make the crust, just made as a pudding. But, I did mix crushed 'Nilla cookies with some of the coconut before I toasted it to give a little texture and more flavor.

Also, kept out a little and added melted bittersweet chocolate to it - Oh man, do I love this verison.

I've been wanting to add toasted coconut to my old Chocolate tapioca pudding also, but haven't done it yet.
www.achefsjourney.com