What's for Dinner, T.G.I.F. 4/23?
  Re: (...)
What's everyone having?

We're on our way to Portland today. An old friend (from C2C) is in Portland for a conference and we're meeting her for dinner tomorrow night. Tonight Houseboat Don is taking us to Ken's Artisan Pizza - they're supposed to have a fantastic wine list
http://kensartisan.com/index.html
(hmmm, just looked and the wine list doesn't look so fantastic....)

And, tomorrow morning the Portland farmers marktet!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, T.G.I.F. 4/23? by cjs (What's everyone havi...)
I am going to make those turkey burgers Cis posted a few days ago (if I can find that post again). I love the idea of the grilled pineapple and onion to go with. I think I want to add some chipotles into the burger mix though.

Wow, Jean, out two nights in a row! Sounds like a lot of fun. I cannot wait for the farmers markets here to get into full swing again.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, T.G.I.F. 4/23? by chef_Tab (I am going to make t...)
We're going to give the Flank Steak Churrasco with Chimichurri Rojo from issue 64. I just got a corn zipper, so for a side dish I'm going to try a grilled corn salad and test out my new toy.

Jean, I hope you find a wine you enjoy tonight! Teresa, I'm glad you brought up those turkey burgers again. I remember thinking they sound delicious.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, T.G.I.F. 4/23? by karyn (We're going to give ...)
I'm replying to myself...the Steak Churrasco was terrific, and is a definite keeper for summer recipes. I highly recommend it. Also, the corn zipper worked wonderfully after I realized that it was better to start at the bottom and zip up! (Do you think that's why they call it a zipper..duh!)

I made the sauce and sliced the meat in the morning and stored it in the fridge, and was able to get dinner on the table quickly with very minimal effort. I love recipes like this for summer, because I never know how much time I'm going to have to prep before dinner so if I can get it done early, it makes life so much easier, y'know?
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, T.G.I.F. 4/23? by karyn (I'm replying to myse...)
I love my corn zipper. We got it last summer and I miss using it - no decent corn here, it's all feed or fuel.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, T.G.I.F. 4/23? by Harborwitch (I love my corn zippe...)
"Flank Steak Churrasco with Chimichurri Rojo" - I haven't tried this one yet (I don't think), but sounds right up our alley. thanks for reviewing it, Karyn.

That's one advantage of being retired, I can do all my prepping in the a.m. when I'm full of energy!

Our pizza last night at Ken's Artisan pizza was outstanding! I was lucky, lucky one Christmas to have a friend from New York send us a box of pizzas which were so different from any pizza I had ever tasted and these last night so reminded me of them. Just wonderful!

A slight mishap early into the evening, I managed to lay a part of the (paper) wine list over this little dinky candle on the table that you could hardly even see - started a fire at the table. Roy & Don sat there looking at me like I was crazy as I stuffed the darn list in my glass of water. geez....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, T.G.I.F. 4/23? by cjs ("Flank Steak Churras...)
ROTFLMAO!!! Spewing tea all over.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, T.G.I.F. 4/23? by Harborwitch (ROTFLMAO!!! Spewing...)
We should have all been there sprewing something on the darn thing.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, T.G.I.F. 4/23? by cjs (We should have all b...)
OMG....LOL!!!! I'm glad I just swallowed my coffee! I can't believe they just sat there looking at it....LOL!

Oh, I forgot....We had a family "thing" going on last night, but I did manage baked potatoes and a nice salad. The local grocery had bone in rib eye (Isn't that a Delmonico?) for $3.99 a pound, so I had the butcher cut me two nice thick ones. They were very good.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, T.G.I.F. 4/23? by Gourmet_Mom (OMG....LOL!!!! I'm ...)
No, a Delmonico is a boneless steak from the short loin.

forgot to mention the wine ( ) and pizza we had -

2007 La Valenta Montepulciano d' Abruzzo -yummy!

Soppressata: tomato sauce, Mozz, spicy soppressata, basil - 2nd best

Fennel Sausage & Onions: tomato sauce, mozz, sausage, roasted onions, basil with hot Calabrian chiles - #1 Favorite

Mushroom: roasted oyster mushrooms, scallions, bra tenero (chile), basil - 3rd favorite.

They really were all good, but....

Oh, completely forgot the appy - it was wonderful and would be so easy to duplicate.

Wood Oven Roasted Vegetable Plate:
White turnips (baby, baby size halved), greens, garlic, chiles

Carrots (about 3 1/2" long), preserved lemon and mint. (I watched this one - he roasted the carrots, just al dente, then brushed with the preserved lemon, little oil and the mint, which I think was infused in the oil)

Leeks, cream, Parmigiano Reggiano - the owner told me the leeks (quartered and cut in ~3" lengths) roasted in cream sprinkle with Parm and cooked just till the leeks were creamy soft and the Parm was browning and crusty)

Three stripes across the plate and it looked as good as it tasted.
www.achefsjourney.com