What's for Dinner, Thursday, Apr 29th??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for today??

I'm making Mussels in Carrot Ginger Broth with some crusty bread.

I bought some fresh morels Sunday at Vancouver's farmers market and used them last night. Oh my, this recipe is soooo good!! It's from Bon Appetit, 4/04

Roasted Prawns with Morels and Morel Butter
6 servings
This recipe calls for giant 4 1/2- to 5-ounce prawns, which can be ordered from some specialty fish markets. If unavailable, substitute 24 large prawns. (I didn't have the giants, but had some large ones.)

8 ounces fresh morel mushrooms or 2 ounces dried morel mushrooms*
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
3/4 cup chopped shallots, divided
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme

6 4 1/2- to 5-ounce uncooked giant prawns or 24 large prawns

Finely chop enough fresh morels or reconstituted morels to measure 1/2 cup (packed); reserve remaining morels. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup shallots and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add chopped morels and thyme; sauté 2 minutes. If using dried morels, add reserved soaking liquid to skillet, leaving any sediment behind. Increase heat; boil until almost all liquid evaporates, about 8 minutes. Transfer morel mixture to small bowl; cool. Mix remaining 7 tablespoons butter into morel mixture. Season lightly with salt and pepper. (Morel butter can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)

Using scissors, cut along back shell of each prawn all the way up to tail, exposing vein; pull out vein. Turn prawns over. Using small sharp knife and starting just below tail end, butterfly each prawn by cutting 1/4-inch-deep slit to opposite end. Place prawns, shell side down, on rimmed baking sheet. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover; chill.)

Preheat oven to 500°F. Melt 2 tablespoons morel butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1/2 cup shallots; sauté until golden, about 3 minutes. Add remaining whole fresh morels or reconstituted morels and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes.

Meanwhile, spread 1 teaspoon morel butter over each giant prawn (or 1/4 teaspoon over each of 24 large prawns). Roast just until prawns are opaque in center, about 7 minutes for giant prawns or 4 minutes for large prawns. Top prawns with remaining morel butter, dividing equally. Return to oven just long enough to melt butter slightly, about 10 seconds.

Transfer prawns to plates. Serve sautéed morels alongside.

*If using dried morels: Bring 3 cups water to boil in medium saucepan. Add dried morels. Remove from heat. Cover; let steep 1 hour. Using slotted spoon, transfer morels to bowl. Reserve soaking liquid.

Test-kitchen tip: Morel mushrooms, with their honeycomb design, require thorough soaking in water. Submerge morels in large bowl of water and agitate gently to release dirt, then lift out, leaving grit behind. Pat morels dry and use immediately.

------

I only used 4 of the large prawns so I could save the mushroom butter and the sauteed ones to use with a steak Friday night. This is so good!!! (I had also thawed out a pkg of veal scallopini, so had to use it up also-really good!

[Image: MorelswithPrawnsVeal.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, Apr 29th?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
That looks good! Anyone else having problems with the forum today. Seems slow and drops my posts.

I didn't make the crock pot lasagna on Tuesday, so that is what is on the menu for tonight.

OT - I took Steve to the airport this morning. The count down has begun...
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, Apr 29th?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
I want to make the BLT Pasta I've seen in a recent issue. I'm at work and want to put together my shopping list but don't have the magazine. I can remember garlic, spinach?, tomatoes, bread crumbs, pasta (of course).... Does anyone happen to have the issue handy? Seems there are a couple of important ingredients I am missing? And did it use bacon or pancetta? Thanks!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, Apr 29th?? by esgunn (That looks good! An...)
Quote:

Anyone else having problems with the forum today. Seems slow and drops my posts.

I was getting a proxy error a few minutes ago (just before 2:30PM Eastern time), but it's working okay now.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, Apr 29th?? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

[blockquote]Quote:

Anyone else having problems with the forum today. Seems slow and drops my posts.

I was getting a proxy error a few minutes ago (just before 2:30PM Eastern time), but it's working okay now.

[/blockquote]

I've had trouble too--still iffy---We're having leftovers --either flank steak or beef -vegi stir fry.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, Apr 29th?? by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
WHEW! After the talk the other day, I freaked out when I couldn't get on!

OKAY! I'm still cooking, but hitting the short rows at school! The stress level is getting tremendous! We sent 4 kids to the alternative school in the past three days! Our new superintendent does not believe in sending kids HOME for suspension, so we have to deal with them internally. Our In School Suspension (ISS) doesn't seem effective, the kids WANT to go....it's like getting out of class! Most like the alternative school...It seems to be a place for play also! Now how am I supposed to maintain discipline in my classroom when SOME kids have a better option?!?!? Not to mention getting ready for testing in three more weeks. YEA, Miss/Mrs./Mr. governor, cut educational funding...cut teacher salary....increase the teacher/student ratio. Then when we can't get test results, cut jobs....ARGGG! SORRY!

ANYWAY, we had a baked pasta dish I got from Cooking Light years ago. It was yummy and fast! I think it would have been low calorie/reduced fat if we had stuck with the serving size....LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, Apr 29th?? by Gourmet_Mom (WHEW! After the tal...)
We had leftover rotisserie chicken (we had spent most of Wednesday at appointments in Charlottes, so picked one up for a qwuick supper), roasted sweet potatoes, beets roasted in olive oil and fresh thyme, and chocolate pudding for dessert. I had forgotten how good roasted beets are.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, Apr 29th?? by Lorraine (We had leftover roti...)
Boy it's nice to be able to access the forum again! Yesterday was a pain. I tried several times, but wasn't very successful.

Daphne, I'm so sorry you're having a tough time at school. IMHO, we have the best luck with getting discipline under control when the parents are inconvenienced, because then they are often more motivated to see that their kiddos are behaving. You don't have that if you can't do OSS. Yuck!

We had grilled hamburgers on rye toast with caramelized onions and Swiss cheese. It's a really tasty combination, and easy toward the end of a long week.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, Apr 29th?? by karyn (Boy it's nice to be ...)
Welcome Christene! Sorry I couldn't help you yesterday, I could not get on C@H website or the forum at all. I hope your BLT pasta came out ok. I made it once quite a while ago and liked it, but thought, "I like BLT's even better". I hope you return to tell us what you thought. I may have to revisit that recipe. This forum is so full of great ideas and reviews.

By the way, we had leftover jambalaya on the grill. It is still one of my favorites and the reason I came to the forum in the first place.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, Apr 29th?? by chef_Tab (Welcome Christene! S...)
Poor Christene, first post and none of us could get on to help her - I hope she comes back on and sees it was not a normal day in the neighborhood!!

I bow to you both, Daphne & Karyn - no way in h*ll could I ever do your jobs. But, I must say our kids knew not to push the envelope 'cause we would back the teacher/school everytime - well, 99% of the time.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com