May Birthday Dinners???
  Re: (...)
Well the end of April has come and someone (I forgot who) was going to choose a dinner, but, nada.

So, I'm going to throw a dinner out here for mine and hope all the other May peoples will choose a dinner also, and we can all just work on them whenever and then review them (separately so we can find the threads again later) on Monday, May 31st (is that really a Monday, Theresa??? )

If this works for everyone,
all May Birthday Dinners will be reviewed on Monday, May 31st

Okay?

Here's mine:

from the new issue (#81)
Cubano-Style Burgers
Double-Fried Tostones (for those of us who can find plantains)

No dessert - I'll leave that to other Geminis

I'll type this up later for anyone who doesn't get the issue??

MAY -
Buzzard767 - May 4th
Vanquisher/Heidi - May 5th her review is Monday, May 3rd 'cause she was already on board)
Chrismar - May 7th
Maryann - May 25th
PJ - May 28
Barbarainnc - May 28th
Jean - May 28th

-------

I'll post the recipes here so they don't get lost -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cubano-Style Burgers

For the mustard relish -
1/4 cup prepared yellow mustard
1/4 cup dill pickle relish
2 T. minced red onion
2 T. diced pickled jalapeno
1 T. honey
-----
For the burgers -
1 lb. ground pork or turkey
Salt & black pepper
4 slices deli-sliced ham
4 slices Swiss cheese
4 onion hamburger buns -- buttered

Preheat one side of grill to medium-high and the other side to low.
Combine ingred. for the relish in a bowl set aside.

Divide ground pork into 4 equal portions. Shape each portion into a patty slightly larger than the bun to allow for shrinkage (C@H note: By using a biscuit cutter to shape the burgers, the meat is handled less and retains its shape better). Season patties with salt and pepper and coat both sides of each one with nonstick spray.

Grill burgers, covered, over medium-high heat until cooked through, 3 minutes per side. Top each burger with a slice of ham and a slice of cheese (C@H note: Wait until near the end of grilling to top the burgers with the ham and cheese slices). Grill, covered, until cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove burgers from the grill and tent with foil.

Grill buttered buns, covered over low heat until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. To serve, place burgers on buns, and top with mustard relish. Makes 4 servings.

Double-Fried Tostones

2 cups vegetable oil
2 green plantains, peeled and cut into 1/4" thick slices
Salt, garlic powder, and chili powder to taste

Heat oil in a sauté pan to 365° F. Fry plantain slices until light brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate; let cool.

Flatten each plantain between sheets of waxed paper with the flat side of a meat mallet. Fry tostones again, until crisp, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a paper-toweled-lined plate. Season with salt, garlic powder and chili powder. Makes 4 servings

Description:
"C@H Issue #81, June 2010"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: May Birthday Dinners??? by cjs (Well the end of Apri...)
The burgers and tostones sound good to me, so please do post the recipes. I'm sure I won't be the only one who will need them.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: May Birthday Dinners??? by labradors (The burgers and [i]t...)
Love your choices Jean! And yes, the 31st is a Monday.....but I must admit, I had to check my google calendar to be sure.

I haven't looked at the Tostones recipe yet, but if you need the plantain ripe, make sure you buy it at least a week ahead. Often mine need two weeks, or more.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: May Birthday Dinners??? by chef_Tab (Love your choices Je...)
Quote:

I haven't looked at the Tostones recipe yet, but if you need the plantain ripe, make sure you buy it at least a week ahead. Often mine need two weeks, or more.

Tostones and tajadas are made with unripe plantains. Maduros are made with the ripe plantains.
  Re: Re: May Birthday Dinners??? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Yes, green plantains.

I edited in the recipes in the initial post.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: May Birthday Dinners??? by cjs (Yes, green plantains...)
Thanks, Jean.
  Re: Re: May Birthday Dinners??? by labradors (Thanks, Jean....)
You definitely want as the plantains as green as you can get them. Some folks make them with pintones but the tostones will be on the sweet side and not nearly as good. I have not seen the recipe, so I can't comment except to say make sure the oil is hot for the second fry after you smash them.
  Re: Re: May Birthday Dinners??? by Cubangirl (You definitely want ...)
The plantains are iffy here, but the burgers sound WONDERFUL and something William will REALLY like.

I have GOT to remember to pick up the ingredients for Heidi's dinner tomorrow, so I can make it this weekend! I had to wait for a trip to the city to get the shrimp. Off tomorrow.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: May Birthday Dinners??? by Gourmet_Mom (The plantains are if...)
Bringing this to the top - review is Monday, the 31st. AND, no one else chose a dinner, darn. But, it has been a busy month for everyone, I guess.

I'll be doing mine on Sunday - and if folks are going out of town for the holiday, don't worry about being late with rreviews.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: May Birthday Dinners??? by cjs (Bringing this to the...)
Mine's on for Sunday, also! We're ready for Summer Sunday Burger Night! And adding some "spice" to the party has become part of the fun! We've discovered SOOOO many different ways to enjoy burgers this past year or two!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.