Let The Fun Begin!
  Re: (...)
Catering wise, January through April is dead around here. But, starting Mother's Day, we have 7 events in 15 days, all at the winery. Some are small lunches for 40, but there are a few large weddings. One is for 200 people, including passed apps, a plated salad, buffet,3 bars, and a plated dessert. We did a bridal show in January, and the folks from the local newspaper liked the food so much, they have asked us to cater a two day event in June (3 sets of folks each day). They don't have much of a budget, but they are willing to give us advertising in their newspaper. We have wanted to advertise with them, but it was too expensive, so this works out great. I hope I get my A game on soon, because I'm going to need it. Won't have much time for cooking at home, but we'll probably eat leftovers. Wish us luck!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Let The Fun Begin! by Lorraine (Catering wise, Janua...)
Good luck! It sounds like you'll be crazy busy - but getting the free advertizing is soooo worth it. Good luck, and don't forget to have fun!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Let The Fun Begin! by Harborwitch (Good luck! It sound...)
Fantastic, Lorraine - good on you and Gil!!! Last night was the first (and very limited) catering I've done for a while - I miss it, sometimes.

I hope you'll keep us posted on you menus.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Let The Fun Begin! by cjs (Fantastic, Lorraine ...)
Wow, didn't know you had THAT MANY events going on! Good for you! Just hope you are feeling tip-top by then. Please tell us about the menus when you have time and be sure to take some pics. Advertising is a great trade!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Let The Fun Begin! by Mare749 (Wow, didn't know you...)
Lorraine that is fantastic! And getting free advertising is a wonderful perk.
  Re: Re: Let The Fun Begin! by DFen911 (Lorraine that is fan...)
It all sounds wonderful, Lorraine! Good luck and share when you can!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Let The Fun Begin! by Gourmet_Mom (It all sounds wonder...)
Thanks, evryone. I looked at the calendar yesterday and so far we have 7 events in June, with a few still pending. We have two cameras, we each keep one in our pocket, but sometimes we get so busy that we forget to use them, especially if I'm alone in the kitchen during an event (he does the carving station). this week, my job is to make the desserts for the Dessert Tapas Bar on Mother's Day. I haVE to remember to take pictures as I make things, rather than wait till the last minute. We are really happy about the advertising, as this is a market we are trying to break nto. The town is only 9 miles from the winery. The event we are doing for the paper is for perspective advertisers, so I'm thinking they all have businesses of some kind, and hpefully some disposable cash for events. Today is "Review the Lists" day ( I have Master Lists of things we need for events). We lose tomorrow as I have two doctors appointments in Charlottesville. Wednesday is a Sam's trip, Thursday is produce delivery day and start cooking day. I also do the flower arrangements for the buffet tables. I picked up some great old footed glass bowls ( one in a beautiful siver holdaer) at the thrift store, so I'm good to go! Well, I have to do a quick cleaning of the apartment. The owners are selling the building and the buyers are doing a walkthru this afternoon. I sure hope we don't have to move in the middle of all this, because there's nowhere to rent in this little hamlet!
  Re: Re: Let The Fun Begin! by Lorraine (Thanks, evryone. I ...)
"I sure hope we don't have to move in the middle of all this,' - Oh Lorraine, Murphy's law - of course you're facing another hurdle!! finger's crossed.

I always have a camera in my pocket at 'dos' also, and then things get hectic and I get home with the camera never getting out of my pocket!

Regarding your dessert buffet - are you doing miniatures or a number of regular desserts? I did one of those one time and used recipes from Gale Gand's Just a Bite book, all one bite desserts. Two of them I remember were Lemon Meringue Beehives and Ruby Raspberry Jellies - I never worked so hard in my life!! And everyone of the guests seemed to be a dessert freak 'cause that buffet was cleaned out in no time.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Let The Fun Begin! by cjs ("I sure hope we don'...)
They will all be miniatures. We did the same last year, and folks seem to really like it. Thanks for mentioning the book, I don't have that one.
  Re: Re: Let The Fun Begin! by Lorraine (They will all be min...)
Oh My Word, Lorraine - talk about gluttons for punishment!! Yes, the guests do love these little goodies, but I hope I never have to do them again.
www.achefsjourney.com