Differences among lentils?
  Re: (...)
So far, the only lentils I have tried have been the brown ones. For the first time in ages, though, I have found some red lentils, and that has me wondering: what, if any, differences (taste, texture, cooking times, whatever) are there among the different types of lentils?

Most comments that I found on the Internet say that the green lentils have a more peppery flavour, but the comments about red and brown lentils vary from those who say there is no difference to one who said that "red lentils are the chocolate of lentils - not that they taste like chocolate, but they're so much yummier than other types of lentils!"

What are YOUR experiences, opinions and preferences, and do you have any special recipes to recommend for red lentils?

Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Differences among lentils? by labradors (So far, the only len...)
Labs, I don't know about flavor differences between types of lentils because I don't often make them in recipes where their flavor can actually be discerned (I use them most in soups). I prefer brown lentils because they hold their shape and have a more substantial texture. Red lentils actually turn yellow-gold when cooked and get a little mushy. They're among my "least favorite lentils" I also like the tiny green French lentils, because they hold their shape well, also, but can be difficult to find in the grocery store.

Here's a recipe which I do use red lentils in. The lentils will break apart as the soup cooks, but it results in a very interesting texture, plus the soup is quite delicious.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Moroccan-Spiced Vegetable and Bean Soup

Servings: 4

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 ounces sweet onion -- 1/4-inch dice; about 1 1/2 cups
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon grated ginger root
6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 cup red lentils
14 ounces diced canned tomatoes with juice, undrained
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper -- or more to taste
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
9 ounces garbanzo beans -- (from a 15-ounce can, drained and rinsed)
9 ounces cannellini beans -- (from a 15-ounce can, drained and rinsed)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

In a nonstick pot, heat the oil over medium heat then add the onions and saute, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and stir for 2 more minutes.

Add vegetable broth, lentils, diced tomatoes, carrots, celery, and spices. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about a half hour or until lentils are tender (they will split apart and disintegrate a bit as the cooking goes on). Add garbanzo and cannellini beans and cook for 5 minutes or until heated through.

Carefully pour half of the soup into the blender and belnd until smooth. Return to pot and combine with the unblended soup, stir in lemon juice. Ladle into bowls and top with dollops of yogurt and sprinklings of cilantro.

Yield:
"8 cups"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 614 Calories (kcal); 9g Total Fat; (12% calories from fat); 46g Protein; 93g Carbohydrate; 2mg Cholesterol; 977mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 5 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Differences among lentils? by foodfiend (Labs, I don't know a...)
Thanks, Vicci, that does sound good. Have copied it down.
  Re: Re: Differences among lentils? by labradors (Thanks, Vicci, that ...)
I have used red and brown , depending on what I can find. I haven't cooked with them much, other than using them in a Vegetarian Chili. If you're interested in the recipe, let me know. I did find some of the French Puy lentils not long ago, but haven't used them yet. Everyone says they are so much better, so I am anxious to try them.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Differences among lentils? by Lorraine (I have used red and ...)
Lorraine,

That kind of chili is something I wouldn't know until seeing the recipe. For me, chili has MEAT, and I don't usually like the way the beans turn out in vegetarian chili (nor as an addition to meat chili), especially when they use kidney beans. If the recipe with the lentils relies upon the lentils, and isn't loaded with other beans, I may like it.
  Re: Re: Differences among lentils? by labradors (Lorraine,[br][br]Tha...)
I must add my ignorance to the nuances of lentils - except that I really like them...doesn't help much, does it.

The dish I most often make is - and I really like serving it with Merguez (a N. African) Lamb Sausage

* Exported from MasterCook *

MJEDDRAH

1 1/2 c lentils, rinsed
1 qt water
3 Tbsps oil, divided
2 lg onions, coarsely chopped
1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced
2 lg bay leaves
3/4 c brown rice
1/2 tsp crushed cayenne
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp crushed dry basil
1/2 c Fino Sherry

Heat lentils and water to a boil in large saucepan; reduce heat, cover and simmer 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat 2 Tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet; add onion, mushrooms & bay leaves, saute till onions are translucent.

Heat remaining oil in another skillet; add rice.
Saute 3 minutes.
Stir onions and rice into lentils.
Add sherry and seasonings.
Cover tightly; simmer one hour, or till lentils and rice are tender.
Check the water level from time to time and add additional liquid (up to 3 cups more of wine or water may be needed) to cook rice properly.
Stir occasionally.

Description:
Because this contains lentils and rice, it forms a complete protein that is nourishing and filling."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Serving Ideas : ---
4 main-dish servings, 8 to 10 side-dish servings.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Differences among lentils? by cjs (I must add my ignora...)
That sounds great, Jean, and I just happen to have some Fino Sherry, for once (I prefer Amontillado, but the store was out of it, so I got this).
  Re: Re: Differences among lentils? by labradors (That sounds great, J...)
You're welcome and have fun with the lentils - will be anxious to hear how you like all the ideas coming your way.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com