Slow Cooker Stuff for Erin
  Re: (...)
Erin mentioned that she'd be relying on the slow cooker a bit more these days and asked for ideas. This week I'm going to try the slow cooker carnitas

http://allrecipes.com/Newsletters/Archiv...rchive&me=1
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Slow Cooker Stuff for Erin by farnfam (Erin mentioned that ...)
Sounds good, and the d*mn rain is sticking around for a while (for Erin & me), so good ideas for us right now.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Slow Cooker Stuff for Erin by cjs (Sounds good, and the...)
Oh Great! Thanks Cis! Jean, it sure is blustery today, but at least it is not raining, well right at this moment!

I made the Mexican black beans and pork - with the tenderloin. We liked it. I made a few changes and they are in the notes. One more change to make, but i think this is a good recipe for gym night and it is very healthy.

Mexican Black Beans with Pork
Not your mothers Slow Cooker

Cooker: Medium or large Round
Setting and cook time: LOW for 8 to 9 hours
Servings 4 -6

1 lb boneless pork loin, trimmed of any fat and cut into 1 inch cubes
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground coriander
Salt to taste
1 medium yellow onion , chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
Two 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
One 16-ounce can stewed tomatoes, coarsely chopped, with their juice
2 cups water
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

For Serving:
Hot cooked white Rice
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro

Toss the pork with the chili powder, coriander, and salt until coated evenly. Heat a large ungreased skillet over medium-high heat, then lightly brown the pork with the onion and garlic, stirring.

Transfer the pork mixture to the slow cooker, stir in the beans, tomatoes with their juice and water, season with pepper, cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours.

Serve the beans and pork ladles over steamed white rice and garnish with cilantro.

** NOTE**
4/30/10 - 1st time made. Changes: Used one pork tenderloin (what I had on hand) . Used ½ poblano and ½ red pepper. Poblano was added with onion and meat to brown, red bell pepper was added with tomatoes to crock pot. Used canned diced tomatoes instead of stewed (On hand) Used only 1 ½ cups water. Serving: Diced red onion, fresh squeezed lime juice and chopped cillantro mixed together. Served on top.

Next time: Try chicken broth instead of water.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Slow Cooker Stuff for Erin by esgunn (Oh Great! Thanks Ci...)
Now this sounds good, and I like your changes/notes. I think I will be trying this soon
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Slow Cooker Stuff for Erin by farnfam (Now this sounds good...)
me too.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com