Cuisine at home Forums
What's for Saturday's Dinner, 12/22/12?? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: What's for Saturday's Dinner, 12/22/12?? (/showthread.php?tid=145077)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: What's for Saturday's Dinner, 12/22/12?? - Harborwitch - 12-23-2012

I just had to share - this was a wonderful recipe from the New Food & Wine - I learned that I like "roasty" cauliflower - and that Farro is absolutely wonderful

[Image: IMG_7551_zps7de8b5d5.jpg]

This is farro cooked like rissotto with scallions, pan roast cauliflower, and eggs (the original only used the soft cooked egg yolk - I'm not throwing egg whites out). It is a wonderful dish.

Re: What's for Saturday's Dinner, 12/22/12?? - labradors - 12-23-2012

Roasting is so much better than how cauliflower is usually treated.

Don't forget the roasted cauliflower from Theresa's birthday dinner and also Jean's Cauliflower-Crust Pizza!

I know! I have some raw left so I'll have to play some more. I have to say the farro was incredible too. Toothy and very rich.

Re: What's for Saturday's Dinner, 12/22/12?? - Mare749 - 12-23-2012

Wow, that looks really good and rich, Sharon! Of course, we love anything with a soft-cooked egg on it.

Never tried farro, but have seen it in the stores. Your dish makes it look tasty.

Forgot to mention dinner. After Ron fixed the plumbing problem, I put together a pot of chili for dinner. After that, we did a "24" marathon. (watching season 7) Wow!

Re: What's for Saturday's Dinner, 12/22/12?? - cjs - 12-23-2012

We haven't watched that for a long time.

Looks really good, Sharon. I did love the cauliflower pizza crust also.

Re: What's for Saturday's Dinner, 12/22/12?? - Gourmet_Mom - 12-23-2012

I've never tried it either. Now that we have some more upscale grocery stores in the city, I'm hoping to have access to a wider variety of ingredients!

We found the farro at Costco.

Recipe:

5 TBS unsalted butter
4 scallions - thinly sliced white & tender green parts
8 oz dry farro (1 cup + 2 TBS)
salt & freshly ground pepper
1 Qt vegetable stock (had to use chicken)
2 TBS EVOO
3 cups 1" cauliflower florets
1 TBS sherry wine vinegar

In a large saucepan saute the scallions in 3TBS butter for about 2 minutes. Add farro, season with salt & pepper, saute 1 minute stirring. Add 1/2 c. of stock and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until absorbed. Continue adding stock 1/2 c. at a time, stirring frequently until absorbed before adding more. The farro is done when al dente (30 to 40 minutes).
In a medium skillet heat the olive oil, add the cauliflower, season with salt & pepper and cook over high heat until tender and browned in spots (medium high heat worked better) about 5 minutes. Add to farro along with the additional 2 TBS butter and the vinegar. Check seasoning and adjust.

Dish into bowls and top with softly cooked eggs (basted, poached or soft boiled (with whites removed?). I thought it might need a sprinkle of parm - but nope.

Re: What's for Saturday's Dinner, 12/22/12?? - Trixxee - 12-23-2012

Looks fantastic, Sharon!