Anova Precision Cooker
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by cjs (Another happy camper...)
I think I need to check this out!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by luvnit (I think I need to ch...)
I think you do, too!Smile
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by cjs (I think you do, too!...)
Our friend, Chef Dave Nelson, recommended using a 2" steak for the Sous Vide and Roy brought home the most beautiful steak yesterday. Best of all - our Safeway had it for 1/2 price!!! So, instead of a $30.00 piece of meat............
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by cjs (Our friend, Chef Dav...)
A monster has definitely been born!! As I go thru my old recipes (down-sizing for a REALLY small new farm house), and going thru the cheesemaking folders, a light bulb went off. Can you make cheese with the sous vide method??????? Well, it looks like we can and I’m googling like mad, but here is the first site I ran across. Does it look as interesting to anyone else?? I think there will be much more research in my future!!

http://kilbyridgefarmmaine.blogspot.com/...aking.html
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by cjs (A monster has defini...)
Doing some monster center-cut pork chops today.

I found a butcher shop. A REAL butcher shop. He spoke those magical words to me when I bought all kinds of meats on Wednesday.

"How thick do you want this cut?".

Oh heaven!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by BarbaraS (Doing some monster c...)
You bet!! What a find! Looks like we're both going to have fun today! What are you serving with your chops?
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by cjs (You bet!! What a fin...)
Sous Vide Steak?? Oh yes, if you have this little machine, please do a steak!! I seasoned the steak with s&p plus 1 T. each: oil and bacon grease ( ). 2 hours at 128.5° and for us absolutely perfect. After cooked, I seared the steak for 1 min. each side in 1 T. clarified butter + 1 T. grapeseed oil. The flavor was just outstanding. Thanks Dave Nelson for leading the way on this one.
Taste tested 2 wines – Apothic Red wine ~$9.00 vs. Sterling 2013 Cab ~ $32.00 with the steak we both agreed the Sterling was the best (but…just drinking Apothic beat out the Cab by far!) The rest of our dinner: Hasselback potatoes and mango with lime and Cilantro. Overall so darn good!! (And, I completely forgot to make Roy Richard a Gin Martini to go with his steak….but, he didn’t complain)

[Image: Jan%2023%20Wine%20testing%20w%20steak_zpspgz0bnwq.jpg]

Out of sous vide
[Image: Jan%2023%20out%20of%20Sous%20Vide_zpsdyrb6ehv.jpg]

Seared
[Image: Jan%2023%20Steak%20seared_zpsz4jl4ph6.jpg]

Our dinner
[Image: Jan%2023%20Steak%20dinner_zpsy5jnjrkf.jpg]
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by cjs (Sous Vide Steak?? Oh...)
Oh my! This looks OUTSTANDING!!!! Moaning and drooling here!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by Gourmet_Mom (Oh my! This looks O...)
Jean, that looks incredible. I loved the sous vide corned beef i mad last year. I really want to find the time and focus to do a sous vide sirloin. I usually find sirloin as a steak pretty tough, but I think sous vide with a quick sear could be prety tasty, y'know?
  Re: Re: Anova Precision Cooker by karyn (Jean, that looks inc...)
Karyn, it sure would be a true test of the machine's ability to turn out a tender juicy steak, if it works! I gave up sirloin for a steak long ago.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.