Stock virgin
  Re: (...)
LOL!!! You guys will be proud of me.....I made my first batch of turkey stock! yyyiiiipppeeee!! I roasted two turkey breasts for Sage's 2nd grade class, so I threw the meat deprived bones in some water, carrots, onions, celery, bay leaves, and peppercorns and boiled for a couple of hours. I then strained it thru a fine mesh colander and simmered it again until it reduced by 1/4. It's a beautiful butter color..and it tates so wonderful!! All it needs is some noodles and chunks of turkey and I'll have a wonderful soup! Thanks to you guys.... I probably would have never tried this. By the way, I ended up with 8 cups of stock that I stuck in baggies in 1 cup increments and froze!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Stock virgin by Bizymomma (LOL!!! [img]/ubbthre...)
Good for you, Angela! You'll be hooked now. Homemade stock is wonderful. I make soup all winter, usually a big pot every week. Great comfort food.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Stock virgin by Mare749 (Good for you, Angela...)
Yeah, now that you've got that down pat, you'll be making all kinds of reductions, pestos, marinaras, etc. There'll be no stopping you!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
...and it will just keep getting better and better!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Stock virgin by cjs (...and it will just ...)
Good for you Angela, I am so proud of you. We will be be doing a Christmas Party for 85 vets tomorrow week, I sure will Have a lot of turkey carcasses and a big ham bone to use.
Angela congrats...sounds wonderful. I never thought about freezing the stock, good idea. I contacted the Farmer's Market here in Atlanta and asked for the Turkey backs. They were cutting fresh turkeys that day and gave me several turkey backs. I added some turkey necks with celery, onion, bayleaf, carrots and a little parsley and made a great turkey stock. This is the first year I made my gravy ahead using this stock. I made a rue (sp?) of flour and a little butter and added the stock and seasoned it with some sage, poultry seasoning and a little salt and pepper. It was not quite as brown as I wanted it so I added some Kitchen Bouquet to darken it some. Once the turkey was done I took some of the drippings and whisked it into this gravy and it was magnificent. I took some of the meat off the back and neck and added to the gravy. Yummy. I am usually rushing at the end to make the gravy and it was nice to have it done ahead of time. I had some stock left over and never thought to freeze it.
If you lightly brown the bones in the oven and then put them in the water--leave the outer skin on the onions and quarter them--do the other vegis as you did you will get a richer darker stock.

Try some beef stock next--my favorite-- brown the bones in the oven for about two hours--add quartered onions , carrots,celery and caramalize about 45 min more. Put in water and simmer for a couple of hours--it will make the best onion soup you ever tasted.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Stock virgin by Old Bay (If you lightly brown...)
I think a stock is a beautiful thing and gives the cook such a lovely base to buid from! Stocks are seldom done by the "home cook" now and it is a shame. Homemade stocks are so worth the effort.
  Re: Re: Stock virgin by dollop (I think a stock is a...)
Boy, do I agree!! Last summer I posted how to do a corn stock also - it's so good added to soups, rice, risotto, or any of the grains, in the winter. Maybe we'll drag it out again next corn season.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com