DINNER THREAD - 10/24 - 10/30/16
  Re: DINNER THREAD - 10/24 - 10/30/16 by cjs (Monday's Dinner - 10...)
And, thank you, Tony - you said you fixed the size and you certainly did!! Makes it so much easier. Smile
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Yesterday - Sourdough feeding day. Which means today is baking day. A batch of sourdough rye slider buns for the freezer.....Why oh why is it so hard to stay out of them while they're still warm from the oven............ [Image: 1f642.png]

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: RE: DINNER THREAD - 10/24 - 10/30/16 by cjs (And, thank you, Tony...)
Jean!  Oh my . . .  I can almost taste those!  Baking season is almost here - time to get the sourdough out of hibernation and feed it up!

Tonight is going to be spaghetti with Italian sausage and some sauteed zucchini.  We're supposed to be going to town this afternoon so this will be an easy dinner when we get home.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: RE: DINNER THREAD - 10/24 - 10/30/16 by cjs (Yesterday - Sourdoug...)
Wow, those rolls look amazing! Yumm....

Glad you liked the cheese combination, Jean. I never thought to do that, but I'll bet it's good. I really hope you are able to get the sliced version from the deli. It makes such a good grilled cheese, especially on rye bread.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Long post warning!  

So we are staying in Southport this weekend.  Last time we stayed in one of the newer hotels in town.  This time, I remembered an OLD motel a few blocks from the office.  Checked it out, and sure enough, they remodeled 8 years ago, but due to the lack of street appeal, they haven't been found yet.  Saved us some big bucks!  So happy with the choice!  SHHHH!

I'm sitting on the porch in a rocking chair on Main Street, walking distance from our favorite restaurant.  It's one of those Route 66 kind of places?  Small, but quaint.  There are ancient live oak trees for shade and lots of foliage planted and potted about with rocking chairs outside on the porch.  Pics tomorrow?

Anyway, after a long day, we headed to our room.  (They let us drop off our stuff as soon as we got in town this morning.). After a couple glasses of wine, we walked to Loco Jo's for dinner.  I was excited to be there for a night time service for the first time!  Brian, the owner, is there often, but his wife, Joanne was there tonight.  Her mother' s restaurant used to be next door to Williams office, and he used to eat there almost daily.  It was so good to see her for more than a minute.  We also reconnected to so many old friends! 

Moving on, I had already decided I was having wings so I could order more wine.  LONGER STORY. Our regular waitress, Ashley, hooked us up with two each glasses of wine for one.  THIS WAS NEW.  Then Brian came over and said he was coming in for business next week.  HMMMM?  He insisted he'd wait until next week.

Anyway, I got my wings plain so I could try the teriyaki sauce wings.  OMG!  I could drink the sauce!  Joanne recommended the Carribean Jerk sauce next time...sweet and heat.  Maybe tomorrow?  LOL!

I had a wine stain from earlier on my tshirt, so I had grabbed a Loco Jo tshirt off the rack and changed when I got there.  When we went to pay for the t-shirt, bottle of wine, wings, and oyster PO' boy, Joanne told us it was paid by her husband, Brian.  They are ready to build Joanne's sister's house and need a house proposal. Guess that house proposal will be free!  

We have GOT to get back down here full time.  I miss this so much!  I was a school teacher and missed a lot of adult interaction back in the day, but that is being addressed these days.  Catching up is so fun and rewarding!  It's like rediscovering my "home town' all over again.

Side note:  Tomorrow is the annual Stede Bonnet Sail Boat Race.  It is a tongue in cheek sailboat race that was started by another friend and restaurant owner to celebrate a historic event here and have fun with Halloween. They all get into period costumes and look like pirates for the race.  It's a fun event.  This weekend should be interesting!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: RE: DINNER THREAD - 10/24 - 10/30/16 by Gourmet_Mom (Long post warning!  ...)
Sounds like you are having a great time "in town", Daphne! Wish I could go to Loco Joe's with you! I can certainly relate to your desire to live closer to work and enjoy all the amenities of Southport. It's such a pretty little town.

We're going to use up l/os tonight. Last night, we shared an antipasto salad. Ron ordered veal parm and I had eggplant parm. Both orders came with sides of pasta and wonderful "in house" Italian bread. We had a wonderful Chianti with dinner, later followed by coffee and black cherry gelato. Tonight we will finish off the delicious entrees.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Thumbs Up    Re: RE: DINNER THREAD - 10/24 - 10/30/16 by cjs (Yesterday - Sourdoug...)
These buns look fantastic Jean! Smile Smile Smile

Today I have a turkey breast carcass in a pot making soup with some kluski noodles and homemade bread loaf. It's a cloudy day, just what the house needs to be cozy.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
Oh Daphne, how much fun could you and William have living back in that area again!!! What a great evening!

Looks like good food all around.

For our later snack we had Salmon tacos using up the Apple - Mango chutney on street tacos (love these little guys) We each had two and I can't decide which I liked better - with everything or just the salmon, onions and chutney.....

Attached Files Image(s)

www.achefsjourney.com
Saturday's Dinner - 10/29/16??

What's on the menu for everyone today??

Running around I think here - altho it's rainy and I'd just as soon cuddle up and read a book. Smile
And, I really want to try out the new Rye sliders.............decisions, decisions.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: RE: DINNER THREAD - 10/24 - 10/30/16 by cjs ([size=medium][b][u]S...)
I am making turkey noodle soup today and homemade white bread. We had a whole turkey breast with all fixins the other day.

Jean, did you see the slider video I posted last week?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura